Trying to source a GC68

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BarCodeBlack

Trying to source a GC68

Post by BarCodeBlack » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:55 am

Following a number of recommendations by Ralf Hutter, and some good online reviews, I'm desperately trying to source two GC-68 heatsinks for delivery to UK or Spain.

Anyone have ideas for European supplies for this item?

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:21 am

The great thing about the GC 68 is the price. The performance is OK, but make sure you don't pay a whole lot for one.

You can also get one of the following:

Spire Whisper Rock, Falcon rockII
Speeze Whisper Rock, Falcon Rock II (this is the version I have)

They are all basically the GC68 plus a tiny plug of copper that makes a small difference. The Falcon Rock I is a GC 68, but I think the fan might be a bit louder on that.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:31 pm

Speeze whisper rock, the one with the copper plug, is awesome. Fairly quiet too (although I did put a 3-pin zalman resistor on both of mine). Newegg has them for $9 and I can't imagine any hs/fan beating its price/performance.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:20 am

Both mrzed and wumpus are correct about those fans being a good replacement for the GC68 as they're basically the same things. I think those Speeze versions are available in Europe too. I'm fairly sure it's been talked about here on the SPCR forums so you might want to search a little bit and see what you come up with.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:27 am

Dan's Data has a review of the whisper rock with the copper plug:

http://www.dansdata.com/quickshot004.htm

Also in the same review, a heatpipe HS that I can't find commercially available anywhere (?)

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:24 am

I have had my eyes open for a while on that heatpipe cooler. (Thermal Transtech NPH-2). It is buildt so it will be an awfully good cooler.
I believe it will perform awfully good at low airspeed, so it could be very interesting for quiet system building.
I'm also still looking for a company selling it, preferably in europe.
If anyone stumbles upon a review where they run it with very low airspeed I would be very interested. For some reason almost all heatsinks are tested at awfully high airspeed, and that don't make much sense for quiet computer building.