Too hot?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

exrcoupe

Too hot?

Post by exrcoupe » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:45 pm

Ok, I'm going to try to see what I can do to make my system run cooler.

Here are the details.

CPU:AMD XP 1800 o/c'd to 1837mhz (166x11.5) at 1.675V with stock HSF - using OCZ thermal compound
Mobo: Asus A7N8X
Vid: Abit Siluro GF4 Ti4200 o/c to a moderate 275/575

I have Vantec Stealth 80mm fans on the front and back and one replacing the crappy one in the PSU.

On idle the CPU temp is about 45-46C and the mobo is at 28C (both from Asus Probe)

On load it rises to 52-53C.

Is it running too hot? What can I do to make the CPU run cooler? Would a good HSF make a big difference? I'm also concerned with noise as well. Considering the Zalman 7000cu but it's hard to justify dropping so much $$ on it. Thoughts?

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:21 pm

a good cooler would make a huge difference; the stock amd cooler with a thin 60mm fan is horrible in both noise and performance. A lot of cheap 80mm heatsinks with a low speed fan would perform quite well without too high cost.

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:36 am

You don't need to cool your cpu any more :-)

I have 54+ temperatures when Idle and it gos > 60 when I run cpu burn :)

amd is rated at 85C (some 90C) so 52 under load is just no problem :-)

exrcoupe

Post by exrcoupe » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:28 pm

a good cooler would make a huge difference; the stock amd cooler with a thin 60mm fan is horrible in both noise and performance. A lot of cheap 80mm heatsinks with a low speed fan would perform quite well without too high cost.
So even getting a cheap HS and and a quiet 80mm fan would do the trick? Right now one of my main concerns is noise as I have the computer in the bedroom. I find it whines when I'm up late on the computer and the wife is sleeping. So should I just spend the money and get a Zalman 7000 for the noise reduction firstly and cooling second?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:50 pm

The CPU heatsink/fan is typically your #1 source of noise, so yeah, that would be money well spent. Do you want cheap/quiet or premium/quiet? There are some decent cheap/quiet coolers out now, so don't feel like you HAVE to go the thermalright/zalman route... unless you want to ;)

Henrik
Friend of SPCR

Post by Henrik » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:30 pm

wumpus wrote:The CPU heatsink/fan is typically your #1 source of noise, so yeah, that would be money well spent. Do you want cheap/quiet or premium/quiet? There are some decent cheap/quiet coolers out now, so don't feel like you HAVE to go the thermalright/zalman route... unless you want to ;)
Is that really typical? If so, I can't wait to get a new PSU since that is by far the loudest component in my system right now. The Zalman 7000 is just great (if the fan is ran at lower voltages than it is possible to achieve with the included Fan Mate 1).

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:40 pm

Well, the cpu cooler is *generally* louder than the PSU, but the order can vary by individual systems. They are typically the first and second largest noise producers in a system.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... s&secid=10

Ah, the classics!

On the PSU, you absolutely can't go wrong with the newegg $27 + $5 shipping Fortron P300XFPN. Super quiet (120mm fan), fortron quality, and inexpensive. I see you're in Sweden, so you'll have to source it locally..

On the HS fan, let me know if you want cheap/quiet or premium/quiet (exotic) because the recommendations will be different.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:52 pm

My Fortron emits a high-pitched whine when I use it with Seagate drives, but at $27, it does make a good 12V/5V benchtop power supply for my other electronic projects.

exrcoupe

Post by exrcoupe » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:36 pm

wumpus wrote:Well, the cpu cooler is *generally* louder than the PSU, but the order can vary by individual systems. They are typically the first and second largest noise producers in a system.
I replaced the terrible fan in the PSU already with a Vantec 80mm stealth fan and it made a big difference already.
wumpus wrote:On the HS fan, let me know if you want cheap/quiet or premium/quiet (exotic) because the recommendations will be different.
What would be the difference between the cheap vs premium if quiet is achieved both ways? Appearance, durability, bragging rights? I would opt on the cheap/quiet side IF AND ONLY IF it would have the same results as the premium/quiet. Who wouldn't want to save a buck or two?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:04 pm

For pricey/quiet, I'd say this (AlCu model, which is cheaper and provides same performance anyway)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =92&page=1

Newegg has it for $35.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 35-118-108

For cheap/quiet, I'd say the Speeze FalconRock at only $9. Crazy cheap! I have two of these on my dual AMD server. I did use the in-line 56 ohm fan reducer, but they were already quiet-- that pushes them to the "inaudible" range.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 35-150-023

Dan's data recently reviewed this cooler and gave it top marks, particularly for the price. Sure you can get heatsinks that perform better, but 3x better? I think not!

Either one of these will beat the crap out of the AMD stock cooler. It's a question of whether you want to give it a bloody nose and a black eye, or put it in the hospital ;)

exrcoupe

Post by exrcoupe » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:00 am

I'm tempted to send it to the grave, not just to the hospital. That's being too nice. :P