Cooling Transmeta 1GigaPro?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Cooling Transmeta 1GigaPro?

Post by Reachable » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:06 am

I've seen offerred a Flex-ATX Socket 370 motherboard/CPU combo with a Transmeta 1GigaPro processor. This appears to be a notebook CPU that's been configured to a desktop system.

The 1GigaPro has a clock speed of 650 MHz and is claimed to have the processing power of a 1Ghz Intel chip. It is claimed to have a typical maximum design power of just over 10 watts, which makes me wonder whether it could be cooled with the same fanless heatsinks that are appropriate for the Via C3. I'm also wondering if anyone knows how the performance of this processor would compare with a C3 Nehemiah.

It is extremely inexpensive.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:14 pm

My SFF computer has that same chip I think. It's a PCChips board with an embedded(soldered on) 1GigaPro chip of that speed. It's a C3 chip...came with a small fan, which I replaced with a zalman NB heatsink. The only fan in my case is the PSU fan. The whole thing runs cool.

Compared to an Intel chip you suggest.....no way. It's about the same speed as a K63-400. Still works fairly well.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Re: Cooling Transmeta 1GigaPro?

Post by ez2remember » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:50 pm

Reachable wrote:I'm also wondering if anyone knows how the performance of this processor would compare with a C3 Nehemiah.
It's pretty much on par with the VIA C3 1ghz Nehemiah, maybe a little less... It's approximately the same performance you get from a Celeron@ ~600Mhz +/-50.