How does this SVC fan compare to a Panaflo 80 mm M-1BX?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mshan

How does this SVC fan compare to a Panaflo 80 mm M-1BX?

Post by mshan » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:34 am

http://www.svc.com/powcool8031.html

This SVC fan has very similar specs to the Panaflo 80 mm "M" fan, except the lack of hydr-wave bearings.

Anybody used this fan and can comment on how it compares noise wise (both absolute level and quality) to the Panaflo M fan?

In particular, is there any annoying / irritating whine?

(fan would be controlled via Speedfan and mounted on a Thermalright SLK-800A).

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:00 pm

(I'm guessing here, FWIW)

I'd say this was just some cheap generic fan. They probably order them based on the price and source them from whomever/wherever they get the best deal. I'd take their specs with a very big grain of salt.

How might it sound? Could sound like crap, a lot of those generic cheapo fans do. But it may be tolerable if you undervolt it enough. There's really no way to tell until you try the actual fan that they send you.

mshan

Post by mshan » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:07 pm

Do you know if all 80 mm Panaflo "M" fans are now rpm sensing or is there a particular subset that has to be advertised specifically as rpm sensing?

Also, do you know of any websites that sells thes M BX fans at a reasonable price?

And assuming that the SVC fan is a cheap generic ball bearing fan, what is the worst it could sound it it's specs are the same as the Panaflo? (how whiney can that fan potentially be?)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:23 pm

mshan wrote:Do you know if all 80 mm Panaflo "M" fans are now rpm sensing or is there a particular subset that has to be advertised specifically as rpm sensing?
No, they're not all rpm sensing. Only the ones with the "BX" suffix.
mshan wrote:Also, do you know of any websites that sells thes M BX fans at a reasonable price?
Nope, all the 80mm BX's that I've ever got have come from SVC. Too bad they're out of them right now.
mshan wrote:And assuming that the SVC fan is a cheap generic ball bearing fan, what is the worst it could sound it it's specs are the same as the Panaflo? (how whiney can that fan potentially be?)
Let me try again: Specs mean NOTHING. Anybody can write anything they want. There's no standardized way to measure fan noise (or CFM for that matter) so the published numbers are essentially meaningless unless you know what the manufacturer's testing parameters are.

mshan

Post by mshan » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:24 pm

Thanks Ralf:

Do you know if these SVC fans are rpm sensing (they include a 3 wire tail, but don't specifically state that they are BX):

http://www.svc.com/80pa32fan1.html

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:34 pm

Do you know if these SVC fans are rpm sensing
From the linked fan in SVC:
"Connectors (swappable): included standard 3-pin connector w/RPM signal"

Yes, since they specifically say "w/RPM signal", so this is the BX version, but as Ralf pointed out they are out of stock...