Tagan makes my fan loud! Help needed!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Paul G

Tagan makes my fan loud! Help needed!

Post by Paul G » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:26 am

Hi everyone
As you can probably see from my previous posts on this forum, I've just popped a Tagan 480W PSU into my Antec Sonata case. Now my previous power supply (the one that came with the case) connected to the case fans with a two-pin molex connecter labelled "fan only". However, the Tagan doesn't have this connector - so I had to plug in the fan using the 4-pin molex connector provided. Now however, although my Tagan is nice and quiet, my case fan has started spinning faster and is correspondingly louder (defeating the purpose of the Tagan PSU).
Any advice on what to do to make things quiet again would be wonderful.
Thanks
Paul

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:24 am

Not sure what kind of two pin molex connector you have, but most likely you are running your fan at full speed. You can use a fan controller or other options of running your fan at lower voltage...just search the threads.

ferdb

Post by ferdb » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:56 am

The old supply probably powered the fan at some reduced voltage. Just go buy a Fanmate for $4 and dial up the fan speed you want.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:00 am

The 2-pin fan only connector Paul G talks about is a big 4-pin molex where two pins are removed.

The fan in the Sonata has big 4-pin molex connectors. The fanmate has small 3-pin fan connectors. So to use a fanmate with that fan you have to cut wires and solder them again.

It is probably easier to fiddle with the pins in the 4-pin molex of the fan like in this article:
Get 12V, 7V or 5V From Your Fans.

Paul G

Post by Paul G » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:51 pm

Is it then possible just to remove two pins from the molex connector, or is a switch a better way to do things?

Also, is there a fan controller that would work, as I'm a little bit dubious about messing around with the wires on this thing!

Thanks guys,

Paul

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:10 pm

Paul G wrote:Is it then possible just to remove two pins from the molex connector, or is a switch a better way to do things?

Also, is there a fan controller that would work, as I'm a little bit dubious about messing around with the wires on this thing!

Thanks guys,

Paul
Yeah, you can do that too, all you would need is a fan controller that has connections for the 4 pin Molex connector. To be honest re-wiring the Molex connector is really easy.

Another option would be to change the tail of the fan to a 3 pin and plug the fan into your MB and control the speed of the fan with SpeedFan. Assuming your board supports it.

Paul G

Post by Paul G » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:22 pm

Okay, well, I picked up a 3pin convertor, and have plugged it into my mobo, and the fan's running at full clip, but whilst speedfan picks up my CPU fan, it does not pick up my case fan, even though it's plugged into one of the 3pin ports on the mobo... am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

Paul

Straker

Post by Straker » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:32 pm

if the fan was originally using a 2-pin molex connector, it probably has no rpm monitoring, so there's nothing for speedfan to detect... if your mb supports it, though, you should still be able to lower the fan's speed with speedfan.