What do I do if mobo does not have enough fan connections?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kevin Ar18

What do I do if mobo does not have enough fan connections?

Post by Kevin Ar18 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:18 pm

A particular motherboard that I am thinking of getting only has 1 fan connection. I was considering adding two case fans to the computer at some point in the future. Thus, I was wondering if I would still be able to do this at some point.
If so, does this mean I would have to plug one of the fans directly to a power supply plug?
Also, I was wondering, what are the benefits of the motherboard fan plugs? Do they basically provide monitoring? If so, is there some way I could still monitor both fans?

BTW, this probably isn't the appropriate thread for this, since it's not technically a quite question. Should I post basic questions about parts (like this) in the off-topic area? ... or somewhere else, perhaps?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:01 am

Well mobo connections are nice to monitor rpms and, if your mobo supports it, controlling them via software. But you can always plug them into the PSU connectors with adapters.

Personally i don't believe much in constantly monitoring fan speeds. Monitoring the CPU fan speed is of course important - slightly - but otherwise, most of my fans are connected to PSU headers with resistors in between to undervolt them. Once you know what rpms your fans run at, there's little reason to constantly monitor them (thermally controlled fans could be an exception of course)