Looking for a very quiet HSF

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hanu

Looking for a very quiet HSF

Post by Hanu » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:27 pm

Hello!

I'm currenly having problems standing my Thermaltake Volcano 6cu and its horrible fan, and I've finally decided to buy Thermalright SK-7. After many weeks of research, I still haven't decided what fan to use with it. I'd like to have as good temperatures as with my Volcano (45 C idle, 53 C full load), but at much lower noise. I've been thinking about Enermax UC8-FAB (26.5 - 38 dB), Papst 8412NGML (19 dB), and maybe even Papst 8412NGL (12 dB). I have heard that Papst's fans are much noisier than they're supposed to be, though. I live in Finland so we don't have Panaflos here, btw.:(

Anything below 30 dB would probably be sufficient. No way my Volcano 6cu is 31 dB; I have Enermax UC12-FAB as an exhaust fan and I can barely hear it at full speed (30 dB)!! Volcano 6cu has terrible noise.

I'm leaning towards Enermax UC8-FAB, but how good it really is? Is it quiet? I have good experience with Enermax's fans. Also, if you know of some really good fan I didn't list, please tell me.

I'm in dire need of a new fan so any help will be greatly appreciated. Help out a poor student!:)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:58 pm

The Panaflo 80mm L. It is our reference for a very good reason: nothing really beats it. I bet at 12V on a SK7 you will get very close to the temps you mention, if not better, and the noise will be well below 30 dBA. My guess is ~26 max with the turbulence from the HS. Drop it to 8-9V with a Zalman Fanmate1 and I bet you'd consider it inaudible.

kork

Post by kork » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:20 pm

Hanu wrote:I live in Finland so we don't have Panaflos here, btw.
You can order Panaflos here. I live in Finland as well and have ordered from Dorothy with no problems.

Hanu

Post by Hanu » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:58 pm

Hey thanks a lot kork!
I'll have to take a look at that. So it's just that £6.49 and nothing more? Free shipping? What about taxes? Also, how long it took to receive the fan(s)?

kork

Post by kork » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:14 pm

Hanu wrote:So it's just that £6.49 and nothing more? Free shipping? What about taxes? Also, how long it took to receive the fan(s)?
Shipping was ~£5 for seven fans (or so), IIRC. No taxes or problems with customs, shipping took about a week.

Hanu

Post by Hanu » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:25 pm

Thank you very much! Think I'm going to order one or two.:D

kork

Post by kork » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:40 pm

Hanu wrote:Thank you very much! Think I'm going to order one or two.
No prob :) Not long ago I was in your situation and I know what it's like. Dorothy's service is quite valuable to us silent PC enthusiasts in the cold north :p

Siili

Post by Siili » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:17 pm

Hmm not much info on the dorothy page, and not very professional looking page setup either. Would think twice before sending my money there, but if you have good experiences with it, I might consider it too.
You paid with credit card through paypal? International orders have to be mailed in?
Bought 2 Papst 8412N/2GML-213 from www.verkkokauppa.com (pretty expensive there), but have to wait for my XP 2600+ to arrive with the silent breeze 19db cooler, before I can really hear what the next loudest component in my PC is :?
Thought about lowering the voltages on my case fans, but I'm worried that 7 volts that I could fairly easily get is too low to start the fans. Have to look for some product which starts by sending 12V and then lowers the voltages. Found one here ( www.coolputer.fi/tiedot.asp?t=338 ). Do you know if the Zalman Fanmate1 is like that?

Edit: Looks like the fanmate istn't like that. Site says:
Do not use FAN MATE 1 with a fan having a start up voltage of more than 5V.

//Siili

pingo

Post by pingo » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:52 pm

Don't care about web page look!
Write to her. She'll reply in minutes. Very good service.
I had my panaflos here in Italy in 4 days.

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:57 pm

siili you might want to check this out

http://www.noisemagic.com/info/nmt-2/info.htm (scroll down for the english translation)

the shop is here
http://www.noisemagic.com/
they have a finland flag there among others but it just leads to an email address. Verkauf an Endkunden = selling to end user :) so you should send them an email i think

i would give you a direct link but then you will lose the navi frames and the link will be so long it will wrap down three lines. you will have to dig your way down yourself. when you go to the online shop take endkunden (end user) then lüftersteuerungen (fan controllers) here you should see the pictures

when you get one of those be sure to check back and report how they are

they also have a fortron 120mm modded with a papst and one of those thermoregelungs :)

pingo

Post by pingo » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:20 am

Why buy a louder and more expensive Papst fan from noisecontrol.de instead of buy a Panaflo from Doroty?

Fabool

Post by Fabool » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:22 am

Seems like Dorothy takes only Paypal (creditcard) and cheque, both of which I'm not comfortable using, especially online.

You can get those Papst fans for 8€ less from http://www.only4pro.com (In Finland that is).
Only4pro also says they take suggestions on new products to add to their catalog, perhaps all of us finns should inquire about those Panaflo fans and maybe we might get lucky :wink:

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:25 am

Nothing wrong with Dorothy's service, it's quick and responsive. It is only selling fans, what more do want from her website?

I generally find small outlets provide a personal touch. Go with some more well known companies and you are going through a automated system that sends out emails that everyone gets, or you wait on the phone with some stupid machine. Never that helpful either.. :wink:

kork

Post by kork » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:42 am

Siili wrote:Hmm not much info on the dorothy page, and not very professional looking page setup either. Would think twice before sending my money there, but if you have good experiences with it, I might consider it too.
You paid with credit card through paypal? International orders have to be mailed in?
Bought 2 Papst 8412N/2GML-213 from www.verkkokauppa.com (pretty expensive there), but have to wait for my XP 2600+ to arrive with the silent breeze 19db cooler, before I can really hear what the next loudest component in my PC is
As pingo said, you should not let looks deceive you in this case. I found Dorothy's service exemplary and will order from her again.

I wired the money straight into Dorothy's account as I don't have a credit card and am cautious of Paypal. My bank (Osuuspankki) awarded themselves a 6€ fee for that. All in all, my order for seven Panaflo fans to Finland amounted to ~9€ per fan, which is about half of what I would pay for Papst fans locally.

The Panaflo L1A beats the pants off the Papst NGML (which moves more air according to spec), but when compared to an NGL (which moves less air) it's much closer IMO. At <7V both the L1A and the NGL are very quiet, at 12V neither of them are.

Siili

Post by Siili » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:48 am

Thanks to all for quick response :)
I guess I'll be making my orders this weekend. Looks like it's going to be Panaflos from Dorothy and probably some rubber thingies from only4pro to fasten them. Tempted to buy a 2 fan control unit from there too. Well I just got this month's pay, so at least I'm good for it :)

Fabool

Post by Fabool » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:03 am

Oh, there's a wire transfer possibility? Then I might consider ordering a few Panaflos, would be a lot cheaper than the Papst fans too.

Hanu

Post by Hanu » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:15 am

Gee thanks guys!
You've been really useful.:) Gotta convince my dad to loan me his credit card, though.:(