Aluminum honeycomb availiable at FrozenCPU.com

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

saxxon
-- Vendor --

Aluminum honeycomb availiable at FrozenCPU.com

Post by saxxon » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:24 pm

SPCR requested several of these Honeycomb Flow Straighteners and discussed posting a review, although I have not seen it posted.
The folks at FrozenCPU.com liked the products and are carrying them now. If anyone from this site purchases one please post some pics and data. Here is the link:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7096/ ... using.html

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:04 pm

I am wondering how useful are these in case applications (exhaust and CPU fan). As an exhaust, air would be out of the case anyway. As a CPU fan, the fan is most likely pushed tight against the HS (TRUE/Ninja). I see limited performance benefit using these things.

Hope to see a review soon.

mkygod

Post by mkygod » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:33 pm

How thick is one of these things? Can it be used to replace the honeycomb grill of an antec case? It looks less restrictive.

Fungi

Post by Fungi » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Blood wrote:I am wondering how useful are these in case applications (exhaust and CPU fan). As an exhaust, air would be out of the case anyway. As a CPU fan, the fan is most likely pushed tight against the HS (TRUE/Ninja). I see limited performance benefit using these things.

Hope to see a review soon.
You're absolutely right; this airflow straightener is limited in application. It's excellent for turning any old fan into a spot cooler. Say, for example, you had empty hard drivebays at the front bottom of your case, and wanted air to shoot towards your PCI cards. One of these airflow straighteners will "focus" the air and create more velocity at farther distances. But as you say, directly on a heatsink or at the exhaust won't provide any improvement.

saxxon
-- Vendor --

Post by saxxon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:38 pm

They are quite effective and 80% good results for case fan applications, for CPU fans they are hit and miss depending on the quality of the heatsink, side or down draft, fan speed.
They were never really intended for CPU fans, but customers seem to try it on all kinds of CPU applications. On a case fan, aimed at the CPU fan and NB seems to be the best overall performance.
The PC I am typing on has one for the NB and has been running for months with great results:
For exhaust fans I don't think they would help any. An engineer from Dell actually had me testing them on a dual fan setup. And the output velocity with honeycomb beat the dual fans.

saxxon
-- Vendor --

video

Post by saxxon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:59 pm

Here is a video of them using smoke to see the airflow pattern:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjJFx99YYPc

saxxon
-- Vendor --

updated video

Post by saxxon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:29 am

Many customers report good results for the CPU fan application. This video includes a CPU application.
Here is a much better video demo. Showing tests for 2 brands of fans, the airflow hitting a MB at 4 inches, and a CPU fan demo showing temperature change. Many thanks to Shawn Erickson for helping run and shoot video for these tests.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps7dMCagWOc