which software to use to monitor CPU temp

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gadgetzilla

which software to use to monitor CPU temp

Post by gadgetzilla » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:22 pm

I am nearing the completion of my first HTPC using the Antec Fusion case. I was wondering what software should I use (and where to get it) to monitor fan RPMs and CPU temps?

I'm using a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-G33M-DS2R rev 1.0 motherboard.

In the past I've only used intel motherboards and they came with the utility.

Thanks,
Gadgetzilla

DryOkole

Post by DryOkole » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:47 pm

SpeedFan works for me.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:58 pm

I use GKrellM with lm-sensors.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:22 am

Another great program is Everest, but you have to pay for it. It works with Vista and even has a sidebar gadget.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:53 am

What processor will you be using? I have the NSK-2480 with and E4500/Minja and found VERY different readings between CoreTemp and Speedfan/Hmonitor.

After someone suggested for me to put my computer in S3 standby for 20 minutes and then wake the computer, I am more inclined to believe Speedfan and Hmonitor as my temps show 28c/52C and CoreTemp showed 48C/71C.

zistu

Post by zistu » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:21 pm

A new kid on the block is "HWMonitor", made by the same guys that make "CPU-Z", which is one of my favourite tiny applications.

It has nothing fancy, and does not yet support all "hardware ecosystems" (gotta thank MS for putting thatone into my head), but it's small, does what it should.

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I like HWMonitor too. I have that on all the time now

I tried Everest recently and I like that, but I haven't decided whether I would use it enough to buy it

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Linux or Windoze?? Coretemp will work in Windows. My Gnome runs Sensors-Applet with lm-sensors doing the hard work.

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:33 am

Conroy wrote:I like HWMonitor too. I have that on all the time now

I tried Everest recently and I like that, but I haven't decided whether I would use it enough to buy it
I know what you mean about paying for monitoring s/w since the available free stuff is very adequate. There is a networked version of Everest which could be useful if you have several pc's in need of monitoring from a central pc - haven't used it so don't have an opinion about it.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:40 am

zistu wrote:A new kid on the block is "HWMonitor", made by the same guys that make "CPU-Z", which is one of my favourite tiny applications.

It has nothing fancy, and does not yet support all "hardware ecosystems" (gotta thank MS for putting thatone into my head), but it's small, does what it should.
I wouldn't call Hmonitor "the new kid on the block"... It's been around for years, but I don't think you had to pay for it back in the day.

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:08 am

I think Everest is worth the price, but it would just be another toy for me to play with

yamaha - HWMonitor is still free

zistu

Post by zistu » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:51 am

yamahaSHO wrote:I wouldn't call Hmonitor "the new kid on the block"... It's been around for years, but I don't think you had to pay for it back in the day.
Ah, I apologize then, I thought they had just started to release it last year, which makes it a relative newcomer.

No idea what you mean with the payment stuff though. I never paid for HWMonitor, nor can I find anything on the site which suggests you have to pay for using it.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Actually, that is my fault... I missed the "W" in HWmonitor. I thought I saw Hmonitor. You were probably right to begin with. Sorry.

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:29 am

yamahaSHO wrote:Actually, that is my fault... I missed the "W" in HWmonitor. I thought I saw Hmonitor.
There is a HMonitor and very good I found it back in the day, it picked up the sensors on one of my previous boards far better than the then very popular Motherboard Monitor (or Speedfan). Shareware, though at 22 Euro (£17, $32) for the full package not over-expensive if you have problems with Speedfan.

ATM I do have problems with Speedfan in Vista; "Run as Admin" gives me the SMART data but won't start with Windows (Vista blocks it), don't run as Admin and it starts OK from the StartUp folder but doesn't show my HDD info. :(

From Intel there's the Intel Thermal Analyzer (TAT), though it's more for various levels of stress testing and not recommended for non-Intel motherboards.

CoreTemp agrees with Speedfan on my system (E2180, Gigabyte P35-DS3L) but doesn't give the other info of Speedfan. There's a free Lite version of Sisoft Sandra but I've not tried it.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 am

cpemma wrote:ATM I do have problems with Speedfan in Vista; "Run as Admin" gives me the SMART data but won't start with Windows (Vista blocks it), don't run as Admin and it starts OK from the StartUp folder but doesn't show my HDD info. :(
Sounds like the same problem I have with Everest. If it starts up automatically w/Windows it asks for activation and the setup is all wrong (can't see the key file and setup .ini).

Try This program and let me know how it works for SpeedFan. I've tried it with everest, but it's still not there yet. Stupid Defender.

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:35 am

jhhoffma wrote:
cpemma wrote:ATM I do have problems with Speedfan in Vista; "Run as Admin" gives me the SMART data but won't start with Windows (Vista blocks it), don't run as Admin and it starts OK from the StartUp folder but doesn't show my HDD info. :(
Try This program and let me know how it works for SpeedFan.
Yes! :D

Mech0z

Post by Mech0z » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:39 am

Core Temp is the best from what I hear. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:10 pm

There's a Speedfan 4.34 beta available that fixes the core temperature bug with Intel quads and a few C2D processors with Tj=100C (it was reading 15C low assuming a Tj of 85C) and adds support for some new chipsets.

It should now tally exactly with CoreTemp, BIOS, etc. All these programs take their data from the same memory locations (assuming they know where to look with new chipsets) and do the same conversion.