Is CoolJag 120mm PWM Fan any good?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Happy Hopping

Is CoolJag 120mm PWM Fan any good?

Post by Happy Hopping » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:24 pm

http://www.cooljagusa.com/120mm.html

http://www.jab-tech.com/Cooljag-Everflo ... -3847.html

I spent 5 hr. to go thru most if not all the brand names that sells PWM 12 cm fan at high CFM

CoolJAG PWM fan has the best spec.:

120 x 120 x 25 mm
12V
7 to 13.2V
0.4 Amp
4.8W
2400 rpm

110.03 CFM

39.5 dB

2 bail bearing

there is no one else that come close, including Scythe (52.71 CFM), Nexus (76 CFM) among others

if this is a good brand name and the spec. are real, I would go for it

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Where do you need high CFM?

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:26 am

At the front to draw cool air in. this is a very powerful professional workstation from HP, the so-called xw9300.

Its rear sys. fan that c/w the computer is a 130 cfm (max), 3600 rpm, 50 dB fan from NMB

So I have to pull enough cool air from the front to match the speed and power of the rear fan

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:13 am

Happy Hopping wrote:At the front to draw cool air in. this is a very powerful professional workstation from HP, the so-called xw9300.

Its rear sys. fan that c/w the computer is a 130 cfm (max), 3600 rpm, 50 dB fan from NMB

So I have to pull enough cool air from the front to match the speed and power of the rear fan
Ummm... why? When rear fan exhaust air from the case, its natural that air will flow from front wether there is fan or not. Front fan are good when there is multiple HDD's and cooling HDD's... and that's about it... Front fans generally add noise without improve much general temperatures...

Front fans are also usable when building positive pressure system... but to add front fan to match rear exhaust fans air flow... IMHO that is pretty useless and adds only noise without too much of benefits... unless you have front of intake fan like 2+ very hott storage drives, SCSI-drives or raid array...

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:56 am

Actually, i have 4 hard drives, among them 2 SCSI and 2 SATA, but they are not directly in front of the Front cooling fan. They are just above the 12 cm fan.

As to your comment on "air will flow from front", that's only true if the rear fan is powerful enough to pull the cool fan from the outside at the front bottom to the inside of the case.

If it's not, then we need to have this front cooling fan.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:44 am

With any amount CFM and impedance on exhaust fan blowing out of the case, air will come any hole and opening of the case as its negative pressure. This means it will become front and sides and every little hole and opening. You can put your fan in front but I doubt you see much of the temperature dropping while you add noise quite significantly.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:23 am

How fast does the rear-fan usually spin?

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Cistron wrote:How fast does the rear-fan usually spin?
that I don't have an answer. It is default to LOw on the BIOS, and the truth is, it's quite quiet

I have about 2 ft. from the computer.

Now, when I play a game like Jet N Gold, the whole damn thing goes at max. speed, and I can hear the fan noise even the sound / music is very loud

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:38 pm

thejamppa wrote:With any amount CFM and impedance on exhaust fan blowing out of the case, air will come any hole and opening of the case as its negative pressure. This means it will become front and sides and every little hole and opening. You can put your fan in front but I doubt you see much of the temperature dropping while you add noise quite significantly.
But if that's 100% true, then when do people need a front fan to begin with?

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Happy Hopping wrote:that I don't have an answer. It is default to LOw on the BIOS, and the truth is, it's quite quiet

I have about 2 ft. from the computer.

Now, when I play a game like Jet N Gold, the whole damn thing goes at max. speed, and I can hear the fan noise even the sound / music is very loud
Do you have other specs of the workstation? Maybe it makes sense to replace the rear fan as well, so you get some rest from the noise. In general, most people are paranoid with cooling and often a few more degrees on the equipment doesn't hurt at all.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:31 pm

I can't replace the rear fan. I can't find a pwm fan less than the spec. 50 dB that gives more than 130 cfm.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Does your workstation actually need 130cfm? People managed to cool 350W systems quietly here, whilst stable.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:13 am

The HP XW9300 is a 700W power supply workstation, the very high end from their end

http://www.hp.com/workstations/pws/xw9300/xw9300.pdf

since HP engineer spec. out 130 CFM, I don't want to dispute it

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:15 am

You need to check and see what size of fan is being used for the exhaust fan. is it 120x25mm? or 120x38mm ? or something else?

Another thing you can do is to cut the fan grilles on the entrance and exhaust fans so you have more airflow and less restrictions. Its the restrictive fan grilles that cause a lot of the noises in conventional workstations. However if you have small children around your workstation cutting the fan grilles might be an issue. Pets wont be so much of an issue (my cat learned real fast not to stick his nose in the fan openings).

With the fan grilles removed you will need a lot less airflow to get the same cooling because the air isnt trying to move through the fan grilles.

But before doing _any_ cuting - measure your temps. How hot is the cpu and gpu and HD? Use this as a baseline to make sure your changes dont cause tempratures to go up when you make changes.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:06 pm

I don't know the temp. of all of the above. I was hoping to use SYSTool to read it, but Systool said unrecognize MB.

HP doesn't have any software to read the temp., nor does HP BIOS.

If you know a software that can read a HP motherboard, Hard drive, CPU. Let me know

I don't want to cut the fan grill as sometimes, I could cycle machine quite often if someone buys my machine.

As the what size fan HP recommend, it's useless. See, from the time their machine is released, much more faster GPU, CPU has been released.

I have 1 x XFX 7950GT (heatsink only), but I plan on install the 2nd XFX 7950GT when I get a 3rd LCD. So it can get hot in there, along w/ 4 hard drive, and perhaps a 2nd CPU

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Happy Hopping wrote: I don't want to cut the fan grill as sometimes, I could cycle machine quite often if someone buys my machine.
Without removing the fan grill you will still have one of the major sources of fan noise - air resistance. Same idea as a whistle.. air resistance sets up a resonant frequency and you hear a tone.

IMO with the fan grills still in place it will be nexto impossible to make your PC run quieter.