Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup by X-bit

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

burn-x

Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup by X-bit

Post by burn-x » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Another fan roundup. Again S-FLEX comes out on top along with other fans:
The first group includes the best models with excellent combination of acoustics and airflow rates. These are first of all Noiseblocker fans from NB-Multiframe and NB-BlackSilent series, Scythe Gentle Typhoon and S-FLEX fans, Thermalright TR-FDB (the specific model we tested) and Nexus Basic.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... undup.html

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:32 pm

Good to know Nexus is still a top performer!

Meijer

Post by Meijer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 am

One interesting fan is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon, perhaps even better than the Scythe S-Flex. This test again confirms earlier reviews, claiming this fan to be one of the best overall fans available in the market.

Nexus is once again confirmed as the most silent fan, though the difference with the other best-tested fans isn't very large.

Another interesting surprize to me was the Noctua NF-S12B. It was performing way below my own expectations. At the same noise level the top fans moved more air. To me it seems that the Noctua 120mm fans are the most controversial fans available. A lot of users on several forums claim these fans to be silent under 1000 / 1100 RPM, while a lot of other users claim a noticeable low frequency noise which has also been confirmed in the SPCR fan round-up. A definitive conclusion is still not available however, as there is hardly anyone with sufficient equipment to test these kind of fans....

As for the X-bit review: it's a good fan roundup in my eyes, though I still have two concerns:
1. The sound meter was the CENTER-321, which only got down to 30 dB in a normal room and has a technical accuracy of 1,5 dB. For making conclusions about silent fans, they had to measure below or near 30 dB, which was impossible with this equipment. Luckily they did included subjective noise readings as well. The Nexus was subjectively the best fan, while the Scythe and Noiseblocker fans were surprizingly good as well, and the Noctua once again performed on average.
2. The anemometer and fans were placed in a bottle. A 120 mm had to push the air through an opening as small as the anemometer. By doing this, they didn't only test air movement, but also static pressure. Perhaps this is also why the Noctua fans performed on average: they can't generate enough pressure for such kind of testing unlike other fans.