Seriour speedfan problem. Please help!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pirata

Seriour speedfan problem. Please help!

Post by Pirata » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:32 pm

Hi people. I've just installed latest speedfan, and can't get it work right.

My gear: Intel PIV 2.6/800/512/HT, Intel D865PERL with Intel Precission Cooling Technology (which doesn't work at all). No case fans, only the CPU fan. 2x256RAM double channel. 2 Seagates. Latest Motherboard Monitor installed and running from start-up. No compatibility issues with Speedfan expected at all.

After installation, I start it, and the utility recognizes the Southbridge, ICH5R, that's where the SMBus is placed, to which the AD1027 temp/fan control ASIC is connected. I get:

----------
I/O properly initialized
!!!Exception in reading CPU INFO at startup (2)!!!
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801EB ICH5 SMBUS at $C800
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=PC87372
Scanning SMBus at $C800...
ADM1027 (PLEASE REPORT) (ID=$27) found on SMBus at $2E
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found ST360021A (58,6GB)
SMART Enabled for drive 1
Found ST320413A (19,6GB)
End of detection
-----------

But the main GUI is almost empty. The only indicators are the 3 CPU load displays (because of HyperThreading, I have 2 CPUs with only one processor), and the SMART HD temp sensor displays. No voltage sensors, no temp sensors, no fan speeds, and no way to contol the fan speeds. In options, all the voltage and temp and fan speed options are empty, only the HD smart sensors are present.

There's a tab for detecting devices attached to the SMBus. I initiate the detection and some devices are indeed found, but I guess they somehow do not communicate the sensed data to the program.

On the contrary, Motherboard Monitor 5 works perfect. All voltages are sensed, CPU usage, CPU fan speed, and the 3 temp sensors the motherboard has.

The speedfan problem appears both with Motherboard Monitor loaded and not loaded. The only software that could somehow pose incompatibility issues are Intel's Active Monitor and Desktop Control Center. When installing them some SMBus driver is installed that could interfere. None of these Intel apps is running at any moment. I personally don't think they are the cause of this misbehaviour.

Is there anybody able to help me get speedfan to work properly?

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:07 pm

I have an Intel D875PBZ motherboard and I can't get SpeedFan to function either. I can see voltages and the controls to change fan speeds, but SpeedFan won't slow down my fans at all. :(

SpeedFan works great with my Shuttle SS51G. I'd love to have SpeedFan working on my main system...

Pirata

Post by Pirata » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:13 pm

I hope anybody here will help us. I have contacted Speedfan programmer several times, but he'll never answer, even though he asks for feedback in the project webpage...

clive

Post by clive » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 pm

I had a similar problem when I installed MBM after installing speedfan. MBM worked fine but speedfan did not. Removed speedfan and MBM and did a registry clean and reinstalled speedfan and it works fine. Seems that the 2 are not compatible - well in my case anyway

Pirata

Post by Pirata » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:34 am

I already tried to uninstall MBM and Speedfan, reboot the system, reinstall speedfan alone, and got no success. Speedfan didn't work.

What should I clean in the registry?

By the way: what's up with the program dev? Why doesn't he react to repeated e-mailing?

jamesh

Post by jamesh » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:34 am

By the way: what's up with the program dev? Why doesn't he react to repeated e-mailing?
as with most people who get more email than they can reply to, my usual reaction to repeated emailing begins with fuck and ends with off. maybe he's the same?

no luck with speedfan on my d875pbz either, but i personally thought the intel desktop control center worked pretty nicely - my system is totally silent normally and during/after heavy load the fan speeds behave exactly how i want them to.

is the cpu fan controllable by any software on these newer intel boards? iddc only controls the case fans here - or is that an idiot-proof override from intel?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:39 am

jamesh wrote:is the cpu fan controllable by any software on these newer intel boards? iddc only controls the case fans here - or is that an idiot-proof override from intel?
Not on the 875PBZ it's not. By deliberate design. :)

Pirata

Post by Pirata » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am

@ jamesh: what yopu tell is pretty interesting to me. I own your motherboard's small sister, the D865PERL, and maybe your results can be helpful with my board. In my BIOS, I can only play around with 2 settings refering to hardware management. First setting: en/disable fan control. Second setting: fans can/cannot be stopped when temperature is low enough. Have you more settings to play with?

I tried unplugging the CPU fan from the CPU fan header and connecting it to the rear or front case fan header, and the fan turned noisier, with a periodical noise that I think is due to poor fan control algorithm/circuitry. I dont remember Intel's Desktop Control Center being able to control the fan attached to the case fan header, either. Tell me more on what you did and I'll try again.

I am forced to user speedfan because the board itself and Intel's Precission Cooling Technology do not cool well. I'd rather use Intel's solution if it worked well. What kind of fans are you using? I use the one bundled in the PIV box, a sanyo denki. Maybe it is a wrong fan for the fan control algorithm. Anybody knows?

By the way, there's a fourth fan header called Vreg fan or something like that. What is it for? There's no account of it in the BIOS' hardware monitor settings.

Anybody knows anything about Motherboard Monitor-Speedfan incompatibilities?

EDIT: Speedfan dev states that Speedfan is compatible with Motherboard Monitor!

jamesh

Post by jamesh » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:48 am

i have the same bios settings but iddc controls my front+rear case fans. it uses pwm which makes some useless (ie papst) fans click etc.. but not a trace of it with the 12cm and 8cm acoustifans i have now.

maybe thats why the intel cooler got noisier.. maybe you should fit a couple of case fans (slowed by iddc _and_ an inline resistor) and just use a fan-mate or inline resistor to slow your cpu fan? or even better ditch the stock cooler and get one of the quieter ones mentioned elsewhere on this site. maybe the fan on a better cooler would be less likely to make noise when controlled by iddc.

duh. i just realised. speedfan's going to use pwm too, so your stock cooler will still rattle with that. probably.

no idea about the vreg fan thing - anyone know?

Pirata

Post by Pirata » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:40 pm

It seems you sometimes use "cooler" to refer to "fan".

I plan on buying Panaflos. Do you think Panaflos will make PWM-noise? Why are PAPST fans unusable with PWM? Why are acoustifans better?
Why should I reduce speed with IDCC AND a resistor!?!?
I'll try tonight connecting the CPU fan again to the rear/front case fan header and try IDCC to see if it controls the fan or not for sure.

By the way: can a fan be not-regulable, because it already has a temp sensor inside? I read that Intel boxed fans already have that, but it seems unlikely.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:38 pm

My fans sounded pretty bad when using the BIOS fan speed adjustment. They don't sound right at all. When controlled with Speedfan (on a Speedfan compatible motherboard), they make very little noise as expected.

Pirata

Post by Pirata » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:27 am

@jamesh: would you answer my question?