Speedfan & Panaflo

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

neilc

Speedfan & Panaflo

Post by neilc » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:31 am

Hi,
Im just wondering if anyone has any experience of using Speedfan with a Panaflo LA1, mine will be attached to the chassis connector on a P4C800-E? Are Asus mobos okay with Speedfan?
Slightly off-topic, but how does the standard acoustipack compare to the deluxe kit? I was considering lining my Chieftec Dragon.
Thanks, Neil

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:40 am

No experience with your specific motherboard, but yes, speedfan will work fans like the panaflo that don't have RPM monitoring.

Mobo implementation for speedfan can be spotty, but you could check speedfan's site for a listing.

Or since its free....just download it and try! :lol:

EDIT: Moved to the Fans & Control forum, since it is about fans, and, um, controlling them. :lol:

bomba

Post by bomba » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:50 am

speedfan will report fan speed on (2) case fan headers and the CPU fan header on my Asus P4P800dlx; however, speed control works only on the CPU fan header. Your millage may vary, but I suspect your 875 Asus mobo may be similar to my 865PE irt fan speed control.

Rusty is spot-on that speedfan works fine w/ non tacho, 2-wire fans; as long it is connected to a motherboard fan header that is speedfan pwm controllable. Obviously, fan RPM's will report as 0.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:20 pm

What about Panaflos and the PWM speed control of Speedfan? Isn't this a known bad combination or have I been hitting the pipe a little too hard again?

bomba

Post by bomba » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:29 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:What about Panaflos and the PWM speed control of Speedfan? Isn't this a known bad combination or have I been hitting the pipe a little too hard again?
Hey, I can't comment on your smoking habits, or what you SoCal boys may like to put in your pipe...

I do have a dozen or so 80mm L1a Chinaflo's, but I've never used pwm with 'em. But I did use the SPCR search tool and found this.

On my P4 system I use pwm to slow a stock Zalman 7000AlCu cooler and it works fine, fan gets slower and quieter as a dial it down in speedfan with no audible clicking. Becomes virtually silent at about 30%.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:04 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:What about Panaflos and the PWM speed control of Speedfan? Isn't this a known bad combination or have I been hitting the pipe a little too hard again?
It seems to vary with the motherboard. On some its just awful, while on others its only mildly annoying. A nice decoupling seems to help.

And yes Ralf, you have. Image