Asus K8V case fan controlling

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

StarfishChris

Asus K8V case fan controlling

Post by StarfishChris » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:30 pm

Hi all! New SPCR poster :)

I got a Sonata a couple of months ago, and although much quieter than my old setup, was still too noisy for me. But then it was running a 1.3g Duron at the time with no way to underclock/volt... Anyway, I upgraded my system yesterday to an Athlon 64 3000+ and K8V SE Deluxe mobo. Cool & Quiet works a treat but enhanced it further with RMClock- 4x and 0.875v lets SpeedFan stop my Zalman 7000-imitation's fan @ 35C, but case and PSU fan are still audible. I was going to replace the case fan molex connector with the type that fits in the motherboard, but wondered if anyone here knows the answers to these questions:

1. What current does the 120mm Antec Sonata case fan draw? (mobo's max is 740mA, I'd rather not test this with a multimeter if I can :))

2. Does the K8V allow controlling of non-CPU fans? SpeedFan reports three PWMs on the chip controlling the fan, but they may not necessarily work.

3. Is 35C a good temp for my chip? It's the CG stepping revision - do you think I could/should go any lower?

Thanks in advance. The site's got some useful information on here, everyone seems very helpful!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Asus K8V case fan controlling

Post by sthayashi » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:45 am

StarfishChris wrote:1. What current does the 120mm Antec Sonata case fan draw? (mobo's max is 740mA, I'd rather not test this with a multimeter if I can :))

2. Does the K8V allow controlling of non-CPU fans? SpeedFan reports three PWMs on the chip controlling the fan, but they may not necessarily work.

3. Is 35C a good temp for my chip? It's the CG stepping revision - do you think I could/should go any lower?
1. Less than 740mA. I can't remember the actual number, but I can promise that it's a good deal less than 740mA.

2. I have no idea, but you can test this more easily than anyone else. You're not going to hurt anything by trying it out.

3. Yes, it's a good temp. No, you probably can't go much lower (it really depends on your ambient). What do you plan to achieve with a lower temperature anyways? Performance does NOT improve with lower temperatures.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:27 am

Thanks for the reply :D Reason for asking about the temp is that I would be reducing the case fan speed to minimal value, so CPU would be hotter at idle.

souljas

Post by souljas » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:57 pm

a bit off topic, but i just thought i would say this, but I have the exaxt same processor and mobo, and also live in London :D

frankgehry

med spd 120 panaflo is 280 ma

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:24 am

Star,

A typ. med spd 120 panaflo draws about 280ma @12volts and you probably would run it at much less that 12volts. - FG

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:40 am

I've found the connectors for it - standard 0.1 PCB socket - and will report back on my success or failure. The SpeedFan website leads me to believe the MB won't support it, but at least I have a spare fanmate if I need to use it.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:08 am

StarfishChris,

I'm guessing the stamped grill on the Sonata is still there. Getting rid of it makes a huge difference - noisewise & flowwise