Speedfan HD temp readout with RAID 0 ???

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jochem

Speedfan HD temp readout with RAID 0 ???

Post by jochem » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:49 am

Hello,
Just a few weeks ago I bought the configuration listed below. All is working fine and quiet but I have a problem with reading temps from the two Samsungs HD's in RAID 0. Speedfan just does not detect them. I also have a barracuda that speedfan DOES see.
What could be the problem? Is it possible to read out temps and SMART info out of a RAID setup?
according to this link http://www.almico.com/foruminfo.php?id=2928659 the samsungs should be able to submit info to the sofware
Regards,
Jochem

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:31 am

give dTemp a try. It works on my Raid, and seems accurate.

edit - though it sees the raid as one drive... it does not give a temp for each drive.

jochem

Post by jochem » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:01 am

ok.. thanks, I'll try Dtemp

wait..

hmm, Dtemp recognizes the IDE Barracuda, but about the the SATA Raid it says:

Device 1: error reading device ID information

oh yeah, I forgot to mention: the Samsungs are SATA..

Jochem

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:16 am

I used speedfan for a while, and it reported my western digital temp fine. then I added a seagate drive, and now when it starts up, it shows that it detected both drives, and there's smart info for both drives...but only one temp shows up. :? On the configure tab, there's only an HD0 temp.

I also installed Dtemp, and I've only ever gotten one temp out of that. I can't find anywhere that it seems to know there's more than 1 drive.

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:32 pm

my Seagates are in Raid... no problem using dTemp with them.... might be due to the raid controller

Straker

Post by Straker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:18 am

ironically, if you have a halfway decent RAID controller, i don't think there should be any way you'd be able to use an ordinary prog like speedfan to get SMART info off the individual drives. think about it. :P
check manuals etc - if you're using software/onboard RAID there might still be a way, and if you're using a decent PCI controller there should be a way of having the controller get the temps etc for you.

monkeh

Post by monkeh » Sun May 01, 2005 7:54 am

I also fell into this hole.

I have 6 sata drives running in my server, and i cannot read the temps of any of them

You have to buy a decent raid controller that supports it, my supermicro card was cheap at $160 so it doesnt support smart.

I have several temp probes tapes to the drives now, just to keep an eye on things

jochem

Post by jochem » Sun May 01, 2005 11:55 pm

ah, I see...
fell into the Raid-SATA hole..

thanks for all replies.. I think I have to measure temparature with my hands..

Jochem