Did Diodes Die?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:11 pm

BrianE wrote:8) Cool, glad to know it really works! I like the cheapness and simplicity of this... maybe I should build one of these things too. :mrgreen:
The terminal block is really pretty clever. It gives you the ability to connect any number of fans all at different voltages....so whatever voltage a fan seems to prefer, it's on a terminal somewhere.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:38 am

Ghetto wiring jobs? Boy, that brings back memories of splicing together mixed sections of telephone wire just so I could get Internet access when I was a kid... Internet was new and didn't need a perfectly noise-free connection at the time.

Until I got a decent wire stripper, I used a pocket knife, or my teeth. So long as you don't nick the wire, you're golden. Wrap the end result in electical tape, or just use wire connectors.

ferdb

Post by ferdb » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:00 am

It's a common misconception that diodes always drop 0.7v each. It's a very rough rule of thumb and it depends on the diode and the amount of current you are pulling through it.
The voltage drop of a diode depends on the type of diode and the current density through it. It is a logarithmic relationship though, unlike a resistor. A typical 1N400x series diode may drop less than 0.5 volts at a few milliamps, rising to 0.8+ at an amp. If the current through the diode is low, the voltage drop will be low.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:38 am

ferdb wrote:It's a common misconception that diodes always drop 0.7v each. It's a very rough rule of thumb and it depends on the diode and the amount of current you are pulling through it.
The voltage drop of a diode depends on the type of diode and the current density through it. It is a logarithmic relationship though, unlike a resistor. A typical 1N400x series diode may drop less than 0.5 volts at a few milliamps, rising to 0.8+ at an amp. If the current through the diode is low, the voltage drop will be low.
There is such a thing as a nonlinear resistor....

Anyway though, I agree, diodes don't always drop 0.7V, at low currents they drop less, and at negative currents they even allow some current though... Not much but it's there. When you get to the breakdown though, all bets are off.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:15 pm

Mar. wrote:Until I got a decent wire stripper, I used a pocket knife, or my teeth. So long as you don't nick the wire, you're golden. Wrap the end result in electical tape, or just use wire connectors.
We're veering slowly into off-topicness, but I've hurt my teeth trying to strip wires that way. But I STILL carry around a knife to cut through multiple conductor wire.

I'm not even certain on what you're supposed to used to remove the outer sheath for larger bundles.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:05 pm

sthayashi wrote:
Mar. wrote:Until I got a decent wire stripper, I used a pocket knife, or my teeth. So long as you don't nick the wire, you're golden. Wrap the end result in electical tape, or just use wire connectors.
We're veering slowly into off-topicness, but I've hurt my teeth trying to strip wires that way. But I STILL carry around a knife to cut through multiple conductor wire.

I'm not even certain on what you're supposed to used to remove the outer sheath for larger bundles.
A knife works fine.