Decoupled my unmodified yate loon (nexus type) and P180 pics

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nutbar

Decoupled my unmodified yate loon (nexus type) and P180 pics

Post by nutbar » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:18 pm

Decoupling a Nexus type fan (Yate Loon Orange) without cutting plastic. Not hard, and maybe it's been covered a lot, but here's what I did!

Click here for pics of the process and results
I discovered a large portion of the noise coming from my system was the solid mounted rear fan in the P180. So I thought I'd really slaughter the noise by soft mounting a yate loon in that spot. I had some foam collected from hard drive shipments at work, and piles of zip ties at my disposal.

I used a box cutter to cut the foam to desireable sized bits. Then a tiny allen wrench punched perfect perforations through the pieces. You can see in the detail photos exactly how I used the zip ties to hold it all together. One of the pics shows a zip tie "assembly" seperately so you can see exactly what I did.

I also removed the top fan. The change overall has resulted in a very noticable noise decrease, and idle temps are up about 2 degrees C. CPU 36c, MB 36c, chipset 32c (unchanged). Also I'm currently not running the cpu at 2750 as my signature says, 2500 for now to see how things go.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:51 am

I think removing the top fan is what did the difference. Removing the top fan in my system was one of the biggest improvements I've done so far.

bajker

Post by bajker » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:23 am

Nice idea! Simple and effective. Tnx for suggestion.