T-Balancer plugin for Samurize finished.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TD22057

T-Balancer plugin for Samurize finished.

Post by TD22057 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:31 pm

I've finished my Samurize plugin for the greatest fan controller ever (T-Balancer). Functions are supplied for getting the value of the digital temperature sensors, the analog temperature sensors, the current fan RPM value, the current fan percentage, the maximum fan RPM value, or any arbitrary data value. Here's a small shot of it in action:

It runs a background thread that talks to the T-Balancer and updates the data which is then read by Samurize for display. The whole thing ended up being a paltry 56KBytes. C++ source code is included if you want to mess around w/ reading from the T-Balancer yourself. You can download the plugin from here:

http://www.samurize.com/modules/mydownl ... 6&lid=1897

Ted

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:25 am

That's very clean and nice design. 8) 8)

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:40 pm

Jaw-dropping! I could look at that all day! Good show.

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:58 pm

Thanks. It's amazing how easy it is to make some very cool interface graphics w/ Photoshop and some tutorials from on the web.

I'm really liking the T-Balancer - couldn't be happier with it. It cost some $$ but it does do way more than any other product out there. I'm getting ready to do a major system upgrade for the game Oblivion next month and I think having the T-Balancer will make it fairly easy to get a system that stays very quiet until I start gaming (when the noise is irrelevent).

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:31 pm

That's my aim as well. My new computer is going to have 5 fans in it but ideally when at idle, only two will be spinning, and slowly. I'm looking at a pair of ATI X1600XT in crossfire, because I found an ASUS version that has a passive dual-heatpipe heatsink. I think I'll post a thread and ask about this card in the Video section, so I don't throw this thread off topic.

Myth!
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Myth! » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:45 pm

TD, I also use the Tban and I think it is great. I have recently bought a x850 XT plus arctic silencer 5 and using ati tray tools (amoungst other programs) I can adjust the fan speed using the ATI onboard pwm controller and the temp info from the GPU. However, even at 4% ( the lowest non-zero amount allowed) the fan runs at about 50% rpm and noise level so I am considering plugging it via the Tban instead. The only problem with this will be losing the ability for the fan rpm to be controlled by the GPU temp sensor (there's an option to port the value to an unused mobo diode and for mbm5 to control it but the value ported is forever fighting with whatever else is sending stuff to the 3rd diode and is impractical).

My question is.....can the GPU sensor data be given to the Tban program any other way that you know of? or am i stuck with placing a digital temp sensor as near the core as i can?

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:10 pm

Can Speedfan read your GPU temperature? I know that the TBan software allows for reading Speedfan data (I believe through shared memory) and using that as valid temperature data. However, since the TBan controller is in hardware, this requires running both the TBan software and Speedfan at the same time.

Before trying that, you might try putting a temp. sensor on the GPU. I found that I get pretty good number just slipping an analog sensor in next to the core. If all you have are the digital sensors, I'd suggest sticking one on the backside of the GPU board right where the chip is if you can. Then calibrate it with the TBan software until it matches the GPU diode readout. I doubt a few degrees here or there will make a big difference.

When I get my new GPU (hopefully a 7900GT), I'm planning on removing the heat sink and attaching an analog sensor with thermal tape right next to the core so I can use the TBan to control the GPU fan.

Tyrven

Post by Tyrven » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:38 pm

This made me smile. I've played with a few software-based system monitors and a lot of them include really garish interfaces that are overdesigned and hardly a pleasant addition to the desktop. I'm glad that you leaned toward a minimalist approach.

I'm strongly considering getting the t-balance. It's pricy and probably overengineered for my needs (as my CPU/NB are controlled by my motherboard quite effectively) but the geek in me adores how solid of a solution it appears to be. Plus, I'm sure it's a component I'd keep around for a long while.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together -- even though I don't yet have a use for it, I appreciate the effort and design :). Another incentive to buy the t-balancer!

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:56 am

Tyrven,
Thanks! Yes - the T-Balancer is TOTAL overkill - but it's so cool. I love the fault protection (full power startups, monitoring of fan failure, ability to shut down the computer, etc), all little details you can play with, and the fact that it's hardware based so you don't need any software running for it to work. I really think it's the Rolls Royce of fan control.

I was originally going to buy an Abit AN8 Ultra motherboard so I could use the uGuru stuff to automatically control all of my fans. But then they discontinued that MB so I figured that was a sign that I should go ahead and shell out the $$$ for the T-Balancer. :D :D

Myth!
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Myth! » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:09 am

can only see implementation of on-board GPU's (9100 ect) on speedfans webpage so I think I'll strip down a digital sensor (you can remove the connector to make them slimmer) or buy the analogue kit.

Tim, mCubed gang (squares inna nother dimension :roll: )

Tyrven

Post by Tyrven » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:17 pm

I hadn't built/upgraded a PC in years and so fan control wasn't something I put a lot of thought into when I built out my recent system. I considered quiet fans and the ability to add a fan controller but I didn't realize how many motherboards have built in fan control. On hindsight I wish I'd gone with a better motherboard -- although if that was the only perk, then the cost difference of $70 would be much better applied to the t-balancer (as it can be reused; I'm fond of decoupling).

Anyway, my board (despite being targeted towards enthusiasts) has four fan headers and four temperature guides -- but only one of the latter appears to be hooked up and of the former only the CPU/NB can be controlled (and that via the BIOS). In otherwords, SpeedFan is useless :).

If t-Balancer shipped with a simple front panel display/alarm and a card reader (not to overcomplicate an already complicated gadget) then I'd buy it in a heart beat.