what is wrong with Madshrimp ?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:01 pm

mattthemuppet wrote: What I think would have been v. useful info (and probably requiring the purchase of even more expensive equipment) would be CFM values at different voltages - this would remove the HS bias out of the performance analysis and would let you work out all sorts of interesting stuff, like CFM per dBa. Personally I would have liked a bit more of an in depth description of noise on the quieter models, but that's just my preference (and the sound recordings are there anyway). The pages were also a bit download heavy (all the adverts and stuff) but that's just me :)
I have an anemometer but need some kind of test setup (and room for it :() to get usable values from it; just holding it in front of the fan doens't give me reliable and repeatable results.

I tried to compress the subjective noise tests for the 7/5v series by using the small "+" markers; if you know the Nexus which I give a certain "++" subjective noise rating, you can compare that with the others, the noise ratng is focused on the motor buzzing or any electrical noise; anything not being the wind blowing:)

about the heavy page load: there are 2 banners, top/bottom and one adsense in the middle. not much more than the average website, and bandwidth does cost a $$, especially when you have a dedicated server for the website -- but even with the few banners there (I can assure you there is much worse out there *kuch* http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.asp ... 306&pgno=0 *kuch*) it's hard to make it run break-even.

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:29 pm

More discussion on the "quality" of the noise would have been nice. Something with a broadband hum is generally less annoying than a high pitched whine regardless of the actual volume. ;)

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:30 pm

at lower voltages, with 120mm fans, you might have a hard time getting any high pitched noises:)

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:10 am

Depends how good (or bad) their bearings are. ;)

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:21 pm

thanks jmke :)

I think the heavy pageload problem was due to a bioinformatition downloadind enormous data files on the same line as me, the sod. I fully appreciate the balance between ads and making a site breakeven.

Very valuable fan resource though, I'll definately be consulting it if I ever need to replace my YL D12SLs.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:33 am

Thanks for the comparison! This it what we relly need!

I also agree that a noise/CFM ranking would've been VERY interesting. I assume that noise level and the ability to move air has a very high correlation. What I'd like to see is how small deviations there are in this relationship between different fans. I hope you can find a way to test this using your meter.

Even now we can conclude that the lower the temps, the lower the noise levels - no matter what fan. There are, of course, some exceptions.

GHz

Post by GHz » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:49 am

I have practically the same SLM and I measure <30dBA between 1-4:00am in my apartment. I would guess that a house out it the suburbs would register less than 30dBA, especially at night.