Fan Vibration Reduction...another method.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Fan Vibration Reduction...another method.

Post by Bluefront » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:35 pm

Soft mounting, and voltage reduction both work to reduce fan vibration and noise.....here's another way to try. Whether it works for you depends on a number of factors, the amount of frame vibrations being the primary. But it is easy to try, and can be undone.

The method is simple.....but I've never seen it used before. You simply wrap the frame snugly with a few rubber-bands (four in the example here, a slim 80mm). I also wrapped the frame and bands with a strip of duct tape, to prevent the band from flying if it breaks.

This technique is used elsewhere for similar purposes. When an automobile brake rotor is turned on a lathe, a rubber band is wrapped around the edge to prevent vibrations from affecting the rotor finish. It works.....and is certainly easy to try on a vibrating fan.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:38 pm

It's rather logic, weird people hasn't thought of it before.
Good tips :-)

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:10 am

Is that fan just rested in place? Seems a bit insecure to me...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:46 am

That's a Bluefront patented "stealth" mod. Look close....two zip-ties holding the fan to a block of safety-mat foam (covered with felt). The assy has velcro on the bottom so it can be moved around slightly for the best angle.

This is a low airflow case....that extra fan is running usually at 5V or so, and really helps the NB temps and the fanless video card (nvidia 5200).

peterson

Post by peterson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:51 am

Brilliant! I think. What vibrations does it reduce? :o

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:57 am

Vibrations from the fan frame that can be transfered into the computer case....or can be heard by themselves. This fan was helped by the bands. It had a slight, barely audible humm at low speeds.

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:06 am

Bluefront wrote:That's a Bluefront patented "stealth" mod. Look close....two zip-ties holding the fan to a block of safety-mat foam (covered with felt). The assy has velcro on the bottom so it can be moved around slightly for the best angle.
Ahh nice. :)