Yet another fan softmount method

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IsaacKuo

Yet another fan softmount method

Post by IsaacKuo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:10 am

Here's a softmount method which is easy to undo/redo/adjust:

You need an old/loud/broken fan, some foam, and some cardboard/paper. First gut the old/loud/broken fan so all that's left is the outer frame.

Next, fashion a loop out of the cardboard/paper. If you want, you can make this longer into a tube for a duct/muffler.

Stuff the foam into the loop/tube. Friction holds it in place.

Cram the gutted fan frame on one side. This frame is hardmounted to the outside of the case if you don't have much room.

Cram the working fan to the other side. If you've made a long tube duct, you can place the fan deep within the tube.

Everything except the gutted fan frame is held in place by friction, so it's easy to install/remove/adjust all or part of the assembly.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:31 am

Like it...

8)

Pete

Live

Post by Live » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:20 am

I don’t get it. How does this attach to the case? What’s the use of the old fan frame? How is this more effective then other methods? :?:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:25 am

Well you could screw the old/gutted frame directly to the case.......the foam and the duct would effectively soft-mount a fan.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:28 am

The old fan frame is attached just like a normal fan, with plain old screws. It's hardmounted, but of course it doesn't generate any vibrations itself. It's just an empty frame.

The rest of the assembly hangs onto that hardmounted fan frame.

As for effectiveness, I don't think this method is any more or less effective than other methods. It may simply be easier or faster or more convenient. In particular, it's a convenient way to mount a duct while you're at it (e.g. between the rear exhaust and the CPU).

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:58 am

Why don't you just make some holes in the foam and screw it to the case?
That way it would be totally soft mounted and a lot more quiet. ;)

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:36 pm

The fan is already totally softmounted. Putting holes in the foam and attempting to screw it into the case (it's FOAM!) would just be a pain, possibly unworkable, and result in no benefit.

I'm now using this externally on my black marble SFF's PSU. It was only possible to screw in the frame with two screws because the PSU's components prevented access to the other two screws. Given how little weight is being supported, this is sturdy enough.

[edit added:]

I notice by touch that my fan has a noticeable amount of vibration. Some vibration is transmitted to the foam tube; perhaps I've made the tube too tight. However, no vibration at all is transmitted to the PSU itself.

Howard

Post by Howard » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:10 pm

Looks like a great way to mod a PSU for better cooling and lower noise. Too bad fans larger than 120mm aren't readily available.