shoe laces for fan decoupling

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

shoe laces for fan decoupling

Post by GamingGod » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:27 pm

Anyone ever thought of/ tried using shoelaces to mount fans with, i would think they would decouple the fan from the case fairly well? just put a knot between the case and the fan. Plus I would think that shoelaces would hold up better than foam. What do you think, will it work?

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:22 pm

I noticed somewhere else (Article discussion?) that Mike said that some foam works better than other foam at holding HDD vibes back. He said the stiffer foam lets more LF through. Not too supprising. I never tried string on fans, but it might 'go taut' and work like a string between two tin cans (kid's phone). The elastic cord I used for HDD suspension would work well, but might have some extra give. It's the right size too, and it seems to take knots OK. Should be a lot more availabe for us 'out in the sticks' folks too, compared to those special rubber thingies.

Just rembered frameless and suspended (opinions pls.). Similar idea, mixed results.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:22 am

crisspy wrote:Just rembered frameless and suspended (opinions pls.). Similar idea, mixed results.
Yeah, suspension works, frameless doesn't. The turbulence of a framed fan is so low at 6V anyway that it is not worth it to go frameless.

Any sort of foam loses its properties at some point. Foam beds should be replaced after 5-10 years due to loss of support. Sneakers should be replaced after a year or less due to declining shock absorption. Bike helmets within 5 years because the foam will not absorb the impact and not protect your head (note to self: buy a new helmet!).

I have to second crisspy's concerns about the tautness of the string. It'll transmit the vibration too. But the thought of something like leather laces are really cool. It'll outlast the computer, you, me, all of us!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:27 am

where would someone get that thick rubber string? if i use it to decouple the fans then id be even more likely to go ahead and decouple the hard drive too.

Fastman
Friend of SPCR

Bike Helmets

Post by Fastman » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:05 am

powergyoza wrote: Any sort of foam loses its properties at some point. Foam beds should be replaced after 5-10 years due to loss of support. Sneakers should be replaced after a year or less due to declining shock absorption. Bike helmets within 5 years because the foam will not absorb the impact and not protect your head (note to self: buy a new helmet!).
Go buy that helmet soon! (Does you insurance cover you when you ride on the road? trail? race?)

As a former very keen cyclist, who stopped with a sudden stop ( "doored" ) and suffered a treaumatic brain injury (concussion with long lasting effects of extreme fatique), i have much to say about helmets and bike riding.

There are many good reasons to upgrade your helmet. The safety standards become tougher every few years.

The standards are becoming more about ensuring that you live as opposed to not suffering any trauma. My helmet at the time was a current helmet probably 1-2 years old. It is one of the very light, hard styrofoam insert with minimum hard plastic shell. While light, the foam does not do much to prevent your brain from jostling within your skull, but does keep you from scraping your grains on the road. Severe bruising and bleeding is a likely result. Much better, but heavier and warmer are downhill mountain bike and motorcycle helmets. These have softer foam to absorb the impact more gradually.

Full face helmets are another nice consideration (most downhill mountain bike and motorcycle helmets are, but so are more regualt bike helmets) as they protect your teeth and chin to an extent.

As important as a good helmet is proper fit. There is a reason for all those adjustments on the straps. When fastened, the helmet should not be able to tip more than 10 degrees in any direction. Keep adjsuting the straps until you get it. Many newer helmets have a 'rear stabilizer' that cathes under the back of your skull to help stabilize.

Lots more information if you want it, contact me.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:45 pm

GamingGod wrote:where would someone get that thick rubber string?
Go to any fabric/sewing store, even a WalMart sewing section. What you are looking for looks just like small size round bunjee-cord, about 1/8" (3mm) (not the black rubber ones). It has a woven nylon covering, the rubber strands are on the inside. Usually comes in your choice of black or white, but maybe fancy colors too. They might have something like it in hardware stores too, but I don't think it will work as well if you get stuff that is too thick (like 1/4"), and that might be all the hardware stores sell.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:46 pm

Go to any fabric/sewing store, even a WalMart sewing section. What you are looking for looks just like small size round bunjee-cord, about 1/8" (3mm) (not the black rubber ones). It has a woven nylon covering, the rubber strands are on the inside. Usually comes in your choice of black or white, but maybe fancy colors too. They might have something like it in hardware stores too, but I don't think it will work as well if you get stuff that is too thick (like 1/4"), and that might be all the hardware stores sell.

Fastman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Fastman » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:10 pm

crisspy wrote:
Stretch cord is also available at outdoor stores, like MEC (can't find it on their web site, though).