Ginta

Anyone used/seen this airduct idea?

Post by Ginta » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:59 pm

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:33 am

Damn silly, bordering on stupid.

Here are the problems I see with this little system:

1.Your room is still going to heat up. The heat will just be radiated from the wall surface, or escape from small holes in the wall back into the room (or the adjoining room on the opposite side of the wall). The heat doesn't magically disappear, it has to go somewhere.

2.If anything will be louder that before. The noise is going to resonate off the inside of the wall cavity, and off the inside of the tube.

3. Your computer is going to run even hotter with this thing installed. The cavity is a sealed chamber (or nearly so) and the PSU fan is going to build up back pressure in the cavity, thus reduce the amount of air being expelled. If the seal between the tube and your PC is tight enough the air flow will drop to nearly zero. A PSU with zero airflow will die prematurely, guaranteed. If the PSU fan is your only source of exhaust your case temps will rise, as will your CPU and hard drive temps. If anyone is actually silly enough to be using this useless gadget I hope they hang on to their receipts, maybe they'll be able to send these people a bill for their fried components.

I honestly thought they're website was a joke until I saw that I could actually order one online.

Although........ When I first saw the pic I thought of my grandmother's house from when I was growing up. She had one of those central vacuum systems where you could plug a hose into a jack in the wall and a vacuum unit in the basement would collect the debris. Sorta like the dust collection systems they use in wood-working shops. Now if this system were based on an idea like that they may have an idea. But it isn't, and they don't.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:19 am

I wonder if people ever test these devices before they try to sell them? A simple test would prove this thing would raise your computer temperatures to dangerous levels.

You just cannot funnel the output of an 80mm fan down to 1/3 or less and expect it to work properly. It won't.......

1HandClapping

Post by 1HandClapping » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:51 am

Pretty silly,

but what what if you:
1. Remove the case fan.
2. Instead of just drilling a hole in the wall,
attach it to a central vacuum unit.

The couple Central vacuum units I have seen are very noisy due to turbulence, but if you could reduce the vacuum pressure...

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:31 am

Not the first product that has been "sold" in the computer market ;)
Can you imagine how much further ahead we'd be if the scammers read things around here and put the same energy to actually usefull purposes? Makes the mind reel.

jhh

Post by jhh » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:44 am

damn silly idea as it is, and my landlady would kill me!!!

the only use I can imagine is if you connected it to an external wall and put it on an intake fan - I'd imagine that it'd do a hell of a lot to cool a pc then, at least you would living in bloody freezing Britain :cry:.

And assuming insects dont start crawing about in the tube of course.