Zalman 9500 with fanmate 2, fan won't start

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tdphatak

Zalman 9500 with fanmate 2, fan won't start

Post by tdphatak » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:44 am

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this question is dumb. Last night I installed a Zalman 9500 heat sink on my P4 chip in Dell Dimension 8300. The motherboard connector on the dell mobo doesn't fit the zalman connector. I connected the zalman connector directly to the main power supply with a 3-4 pin adapter, not using the fanmate 2. The fan won't turn on though and I don't know why. Shouldn't the zalman fan turn on if it is directly connected to power? Do I have to plug it in through the fanmate 2 and into the motherboard fan connector for it to work? I managed to get a nexus case fan installed and running, connecting it directly to power. Any help from the experts out there would be appreciated. Thanks.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:16 am

It should run at full speed if you've done it right and the fan works. Does the computer start even if you don't have a cpu-fan connected to motherboard?

Try to mount it on different cables to make sure it's not the PSU that's faulty and you can try getting it to run throught a friends motherboard.
If you've done that and the fan still doesn't work then the fan is most likely broken

That's all I can think off

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:20 am

Did you remove the duct to get the 9500 to fit? I have an 8300 and I'm looking for a nice HSF. Did it snap into the Dell retentionframe? (sorry for threadjacking)

tdphatak

Post by tdphatak » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:22 am

I've also installed a nexus case fan which runs fine connected to the same power supply connector. The Zalman cpu fan won't turn on when I connect it to the same psu cable through the 3-4 pin adaptor. Does that mean the Zalman fan unit is defective? Or does it mean that it won't work unless I connect it to the motherboard?

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:22 am

tdphatak wrote:I've also installed a nexus case fan which runs fine connected to the same power supply connector. The Zalman cpu fan won't turn on when I connect it to the same psu cable through the 3-4 pin adaptor. Does that mean the Zalman fan unit is defective? Or does it mean that it won't work unless I connect it to the motherboard?
It should work. Where it gets is power from isn't intresting for the fan itself.
There is a safety-feature built into most (all?) motherboard that prevents the system from starting unless you have a fan connected to those pins on the MB that is supposed to have a cpu-fan connected. Usualy it just to boot up once with the stock-fan then disable that feature and then you shouldn't have a problem.

It does sound as if your fan on the 9500 isn't working. Either RMA it or modd it