I made a fan controller. Want one?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fancontrol

I made a fan controller. Want one?

Post by fancontrol » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:31 am

I've built a fan controller based on a commercially available part. Rather than regurgitate details, you can read the ugly web page I put together.
look here.

I've posted info about it at Sudhian. Someone there thought this forum might be interested.

Let me be clear: I'm not selling anything. I don't even have something to sell yet. I'm really pleased with the outcome of this project, though, and I'd like to get others involved so we can work on making it better.

Thanks.

jhh

Post by jhh » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:57 am

This looks like a cool little project. Useful and neat! I have a few sugestions:

An air pressure monitor - low pressure meaning slow down exhaust fans and speed up intakes. Monitoring of fan rpm to prevent intermodulation. Buzzer so the thing can also act as a fan alarm.

In software, can the user select the temperatures they want to stay under? Is the device smart enough to know that some fans require higher pd to start than run?

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:48 pm

jhh wrote:An air pressure monitor - low pressure meaning slow down exhaust fans and speed up intakes. Monitoring of fan rpm to prevent intermodulation. Buzzer so the thing can also act as a fan alarm.
If you're saying you want one and are willing to work with me to add these features, sure. I've worked with pressure monitors before and it shouldn't be too bad. Buzzers and lights are easy.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I am not trying to develop a product. I have already received lots of ideas about stuff I can add (or, in the case of cost, take away). I'm not going to make thousands and sell them on some web site; this is not a focus group. This just one guy looking for other people who want to take advantage of what I've done and try it themselves.
jhh wrote:Is the device smart enough to know that some fans require higher pd to start than run?
The part applies full power until it senses one full revolution of the fan. It works great. Read the AD data sheet.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:50 pm

It's really amazing how it can measure temperature simply with a tranny. And how it can also measure RPM's even with a 2 pin connection! I have no electronics-savvy so it's all amazing to me! More comments as I think of them...

jhh

Post by jhh » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:31 pm

fancontrol wrote:If you're saying you want one and are willing to work with me to add these features, sure.
I have only minimal electronics experiance, but if you need someone to chip in with some coding I'll come help. I'm pretty good with GUIs!

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:50 pm

What I need are people willing to buy the parts. I don't want to get stuck with $300 of parts I don't need. I sure my wife doesn't, either.

If you want one send me email. Once I get commitment for 6+ boards we can work on payment, schedule, etc.

I think I've got a paypal account somewhere...

That was painfully blunt.

Bean

Post by Bean » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:58 pm

Nice! May I ask about how much it will cost? roughly.

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:05 am

This is from one of my posts on Sudhian.
Here's the breakdown:
$ 1.40 resistors
$ 4.83 caps
$ 6.45 headers
$18.14 ICs and FETs
$ 2.09 remote temp sensors, cables, connectors
$12.06 PWB & hardware (shunts, etc)

That's $44.98. Throw in postage and it's $50.
I've been working on getting the IC cost down since that post, and have made a little progress. If we get sneaky and sample parts we may be able to get $10-$15 out of the cost. That will require a little teamwork, but I bet we can do it.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:23 am

Hey fancontrol I dont know if this will help but i ran across this site the other day and it has alot of electric parts capacitors ect. for real cheap.
http://www.goldmine-elec.com/

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:00 am

GamingGod wrote:i ran across this site the other day and it has alot of electric parts capacitors ect. for real cheap.
Thanks, but, nothing I can use. Dang!

korsch

Post by korsch » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:01 am

Hi fancontrol,

I'm not sure if your answer to a similar question was implicit but I'm also curious about how and to what extent a user can select the temperatures to maintain with your controller? How quickly does it increase fan speed as temperatures rise above this setting, and is this rate of increase software adjustable?

I think you read my earlier post about SpeedFan. With this proggie I can set fans to be inaudible at idle temperatures (which is 70% of my usage); ramp up to a barely audible fan speed once it reaches a 'getting warm' temperature (15% of usage); then go to 100% at a high temperature setting for intensive gaming or whatever (15%).

In this way SpeedFan is fairly configurable but there are two problems: I can only get SpeedFan to control one motherboard connector; and when I do use it to adjust my CPU fan, it exhibits the 'growling' noise associated with PWM.

It's this aspect of user control that I'd love to hear more about.

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:00 am

For each temp probe you can specify:
The min temp (Tmin)
The ramp rate(%/deg C)
The thermal limit

For each fan, you can specify:
The min speed (Smin)
Off/on temp hysterisys (sp)
Whether the fan stays at min speed or turns off when cool
The maximum rate of change of fan speed
The type of fan (2- or 3-wire)
The number of tach pulses per revolution
The pwm frequency
The fan startup timeout period and mode

You can also set what combination of probes control each fan.
Options are:
disabled
full-on
manual control
remote 1
local
remote 2
local & remote 2
local, remote 1, remote 2

In short, you can set just about anything :) You can read more
about it in the data sheet (look for the link on my web page).
Start with page 29. I think you can easily set the parameters to
do exactly what you describe: Start slow by specifying Tmin and
Smin, ramp up to some percentage by specifying the ramp rate,
then jump to 100% using the thermal limits.

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:09 pm

I finished the layout of the next-gen board yesterday. It fits in the
2.5x1.9" outline and will be much easier to use than the current
board. I think the final price will be $45, again depending on what
I can get sampled.

Before I build boards I think I'll switch to an Atmel 8051 because
it has A/Ds built in. That will support ideas like a pressure xducer
for jhh.

Speaking of that, I think he's going to come up with a nicer front
end for setting parameters. I'm still looking for someone with
some PIC experience that could help select a cheaper controller
for the board. Anyone?

Also, I've got to figure out if I should order a bunch of boards. I
know it sucks to commit to something sight unseen, but does
anyone want to bite? I've heard a few maybes, but only one yes.
We need four more people to say yes before I can justify ordering
new boards....

Thanks!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:11 am

LOL I wish I had $45, but im still saving up trying to build a new computer. But if i had the money then I would volunteer. Sorry I cant help, but if you do get the new model out maybe someone could do a review of it and be then id probably have enough money saved up to actually buy one. :D It sounds really cool though, Id like to see one in action.

BriceB

Post by BriceB » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:00 pm

fancontrol wrote:
Speaking of that, I think he's going to come up with a nicer front
end for setting parameters.
Pleeeese include linux support. And for that matter.. may as well make sure it'll work w/ Macs ;)

jhh

Post by jhh » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:25 pm

Pleeeese include linux support. And for that matter.. may as well make sure it'll work w/ Macs
Yep. And Beos and BSD and Solaris and unix and anything else for that matter.

Becasue the thing will be written in... java! Contrary to popular opiniion java is actually VERY good at serial ports and that. The interface will be all custom graphic routines in java 2d I wrote at college. Of course, that's just for configuring the thing, most the time no software will be needed at all.

I'm doing real-time graphing, with user choosing voltage, rpm, (calculated) cfm, or temp. Imagine a rheobus where instead of turning a knob to give you a voltage you push a slider (in software) to select a temp and the device does the rest. All input will be the draw-on-a-graph sort.

The software'll be smart enough to know the difference between intake and output, and fans that cool heatsinks. It'll also recognise fans that do both like the psu fan. It'll maintain a good air pressure and avoid intermodulation (whir-whir-whir from two fans at near same rpm).

I'm aiming to dramatically cut the sound without cutting cooling by a heuristic that learns how to most quietly cool a computer without putting it at risk. I believe that with intelegent management you can decrease temps AND fan noise.

BriceB

Post by BriceB » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:17 pm

jhh,
Sounds real good to me. I figured this was a project to be tackled w/ Java.. if that pressure sensor gets implemented this will be the baddest thing since gravy.

Brice

jhh

Post by jhh » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:27 pm

Yep. Northern lads love their gravvy! (uk tv reference)

I just realised it'll need a sensor in and out of the case, so as to keep pressure above ambient.

I'm relying on the excellent javax.comm framework implementation, but I that's getting almost standard, where it isn't I can write native code and use JNI.

It'll be a while 'till I get to code this, as a freelance coder I have to find time to do my own stuff, but not too long.

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:41 pm

differential pressure sensor [you don't need two]: $7.90
a/d that uses the same bus as everything else: $3.74
gravy: priceless

Remember, fellas, nothing is free. i grind my teeth reading that something that costs too much already would be cooler if it costed more. you're best bet for getting one cheap is to find 10,000 friends who what exactly the same thing you do. When you do let me know. I'll hook you up...

a3ot

I'm a bit confused

Post by a3ot » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:57 pm

I've already signed up with fancontrol to buy one of these things when/if he produces them. From what he said in his email there are only two of us who have signed up and he needs at least six people. So I don't quite understand what all the talk is concerning the software to program these things isn't it a bit premature? I'm also a programmer and that was my primary interests in this project, well that and my 120mm intake fan that I would like to regulate on the fly as temperatures go from winter to summer time.
If jhh would like some help coding up the control app I would be more than happy and I also have some .. dated experience programming the 8051.
For all the people who have read this thread what is holding you back the most from jumping on this project? Is it the price? or some other factor?
Troy

BriceB

Re: I'm a bit confused

Post by BriceB » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:37 pm

a3ot wrote: For all the people who have read this thread what is holding you back the most from jumping on this project? Is it the price? or some other factor?
Troy
For me.. it's a few things. Namely:

A) I like to make things myself.. and am really excited about building my first diode switch.

B) The lack of current availability.. I need to quite this puppy down ASAP

Don't get me wrong.. I'm very interested to see what FanControl produces. I know the thing will be sweet... and I think a good review of it on a popular hardware site would send the demand for one of these over the edge.

Cost is an issue, of course.. and it seems like fancontrol is doing the best he can to keep things at an affordable price. The pressure detector's added cost could make way for a more expensive model... and of course there'd need to be research that backs up the necessity of one of these.

Brice

fancontrol

Keep the faith!

Post by fancontrol » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:47 pm

BriceB wrote:Don't get me wrong.. I'm very interested to see what FanControl produces. I know the thing will be sweet... and I think a good review of it on a popular hardware site would send the demand for one of these over the edge.
I'm flattered, I think.

Any additional components (pressure sensors, lcds, etc) will all be handled with additional boards on the bus; the original design idea hasn't changed.

I'm really excited to get the ball rolling. I want to spend some time cleaning up the board layout before I order anything. I think I'll also shell out for a Cygnal evaluation board so I can start on the uC code. I'll just pull out the Basic Stamp and wire the uC in it's place.

It's hard to tell exactly how serious people are, but I think I only need 2 more people to sign up.

wjhung

hey fan

Post by wjhung » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:39 pm

Well, as one of the four people who are signed up, I'd like to say that I'll stick with the project as long as it's running...

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:26 pm

BriceB wrote:...I think a good review of it on a popular hardware site would send the demand for one of these over the edge.
I've started compiling a list of manufacturers, retailers, and reviewers of fan control stuff. Can you (should I say, y'all?) provide some pointers to your favorite review sites? You can email me if you rather keep the clutter on this thread down...

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:28 pm

tomshardware.com is one of the biggest review sites i know of, some people say their reviews are biased, but ALOT of people read tomshardware.com on a daily basis.

BriceB

Post by BriceB » Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:56 am

fancontrol wrote: Can you (should I say, y'all?) provide some pointers to your favorite review sites? You can email me if you rather keep the clutter on this thread down...
Well.. my list is as follows:
SilentPC Review!!!

Ars Technica
Tom's Hardware
Anand Tech

seishino

Post by seishino » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:24 am

To add to the list...

hardocp.com
mini-itx.com
slashdot.org (of course)
For all the people who have read this thread what is holding you back the most from jumping on this project? Is it the price? or some other factor?
At the moment, it is because I just ordered 10 zalman fanmates, along with a $200 sound meter and 50 dollars in business cards :). I'm a bit tapped out at the moment, sadly. In theory I'm also building up a fanless 800 mhz C3 setup (still need a cheap motherboard), but the C3 hasn't arrived yet. Plus, in my case, my processor has been happily chugging along for the past 3 days without a fan. It's next to a window and it's 10 degrees outside, but same difference. I guess at this particular moment, I don't have a need. But the project is very interesting, and I look forward to jumping in at some point in the future.

Price definitely is an issue, but PWM sound like a cool little addition. While I respect jhh's judgement, I'm not too into the differential pressure potential. I'd work on getting that price down as much as possible... while still being fun enough to satisfy you. And consolidation can be fun: I quite enjoyed writing a listserver in two conditional commands.

BTW, Tim Reese (a Boston area DJ) has a pretty extensive list of parts suppliers on his page, including several overstock / clearance dealers. It might help.

Bean

Post by Bean » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:34 am

Put me down for one! I'll email you also.

With my lack of skills, I wont be of much help on the project. Which begs the question will a moron such as myself will be able to figure this out!!

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:51 am

Bean wrote:...will a moron such as myself will be able to figure this out!!
Absolutely. The idea is to create something that will (almost) work out of the box, but allow tweaking/expansion in all kinds of areas.

The jumpers on the board determine whether you have a 2- or 3- wire fan. I'll need to know what fans you'll be running and, in the case of 2 wire fans, the rated current of each fan. That way the board I send will have the right jumpers. I'll load a 'default' configuration into the eeprom before I send it, so it should work with just power.

Where you go from there is up to you. It sounds like there are at least two (not including me) people interested in developing software to use it. I'll keep hammering on the uC code to make it more useful to others with the board. I'm also trying to get the 'hooks' in place that you can edit, build, and load your own uC code through the serial port.

How can you go wrong :wink:

I'll add this question to the FAQ. I'm also planning to start a progress page.

Thanks!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:04 pm

Id really really like to see a review of this thing. It is interesting, but id really like to see how it works ect. before i commit to spening money on one.