Enermax Marathon Enlobal Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Prozzaks

Enermax Marathon Enlobal Fan

Post by Prozzaks » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Has anybody tried the Enermax Marathon Enlobal Fan?

Enermax claims 16 - 37db. We all know to take that with a grain of salt.

This fan sports some unusual features such as removable fan blades to allow easy cleaning.

Phoronix posted an interresting review.

From the review :
Putting it together, we have "magnetic-pressure bearings", magnets or magnetic fields are the bearings that hold this fan in place.
Thoses "magnetic bearings" are suposed to allow silent operation with higher airflow than regular fans.

rrams

Enermax Enlobal Fan

Post by rrams » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:20 pm

Quiet 80mm fans are scarce. The two UC-8EB Enlobal fans I bought have no bearing noise when I spin the blades with my finger; unlike most ball bearing fans which make a slight scraping sound.

Unfortunately these new Enermax fans both have a distinct electrical motor "buzz" or "tick" sound that makes them not as silent as other brands.

My favorite 8cm fans are the Nexus and Cooler Master SUF-S82.

Felger Carbon

Re: Enermax Marathon Enlobal Fan

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:27 am

Prozzaks wrote:Has anybody tried the Enermax Marathon Enlobal Fan?

Enermax claims 16 - 37db. We all know to take that with a grain of salt.
That particular fan is variable speed, and we all know that noise is heavily dependent on speed. The fixed-speed Enlobal is perhaps more common. I have considerable experience with the 120mm version, and it's a very good fan. For instance, try http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?p=278598

Or search on "Felger Carbon" as author and "Enermax" as subject, looking for posts (not topics) in the Fans & Control forum to see more.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:30 am

Hello,

I have two of the 80mm Enlobal fans, and they are pretty quiet. There is a slight rubbing sound, but I have to hold them close to my ear to really be bothered by it. In the case, it is fine, and it is very similar to the NMB's that I have had in there for years. My guess is that if the NMB's are 18dBA, then the Enlobal is 19dBA.