Help! They're proliferating!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Felger Carbon

Help! They're proliferating!

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:40 am

Here is the manufacturer's page (U.S. rep at least) of another version of the Enermax mag-fan. If you google "Enermax UC-12AEBS", you'll discover that three places are offering it for sale, and two of them think it's a ball-bearing fan! :lol:

Also, there's some question as to whether the speed control is attached to the fan, as some illustrations show it attached and some do not.

1000-2400RPM is the speed of this variable fan, and the CFM (mis-labeled RPM on the maker's site) is 26.91-83.49 over that range. The dBA (mis-labelled DBA) range is 16 to 37.

So: at 1000RPM, the variable fan pushes ~27CFM and the fixed fan pushes 44CFM (cough). :D You know, I'd been giving that 44CFM figure the beady eye but I was much too polite to say anything!

BTW, two vendors offer the UC-9EB fan (90 or 92mm) for sale, but it's not listed on the manufacturer's site.

A special offer for pedants: my speller shows both "labeled" and "labelled" as acceptable spelling, so I used both so you can all pick on me, no matter which you believe is correct. :?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:37 pm

I just got an Enermax UC-12AEBS fan via UPS. A physical description: the fan adjustment mechanism pulls off the fan case easily, leaving a conventional open-ear 120x25mm fan. The UC-12EB has closed ears.

Vibration: no more than any normal fan; I've had no reason to oil it as I did the 12EB.

Noise: I've compared it to the YL D12SL-12 and the motor noise is almost exactly the same at both 1467RPM (the YL max under my test conditions: 11.4V and 4100' altitude with 86.4% air) and at 1028RPM. The YL has a lower-pitched motor sound than the 12AEBS, which prevents me from determining if the motor noise levels are exactly the same.

This supposed to be a 2400-1000RPM variable fan. I got 2377-1260 at 11.4V. I used the Sunbeam Rheostat voltage control to go lower. The tach signal worked OK down to 900RPM, and while the fan ran more slowly, the tach signal was unreliable and then dropped out.

This time, after each motor noise comparison I turned the two fans around, and both the whoosh noise and the feel of the breeze on my face were equal as far as I could tell.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:54 pm

What is the min voltage and starting voltage and the resulting rpm for this fan?

Edit: Also, where are you getting your 11.4v value from? Software monitoring can be untrustworthy.

Thanks

nici

Post by nici » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 pm

I really like the 'Anti-rusty' feature, will be useful in my shower PC :roll: Im not sure Rusty would like these fans though... :mrgreen:

Does the barometric bearing measure atmospheric pressure or is it an indicator of some sort?

Oh well, at least Carbons sample seems to be good :)

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:57 pm

DrCR wrote:What is the min voltage and starting voltage and the resulting rpm for this fan?
Not sure at this point which fan "this" one is. But I did determine that one of the UC-12EB fans ran at 211RPM and 2.66V and at 278RPM and 3.07V, but it required 4.99V (honest!) to start the fan, and it ran at 515RPM at that speed. I made no such measurements on the UC-12AEBS fan.
DrCR wrote:where are you getting your 11.4v value from? Software monitoring can be untrustworthy.
No software. 11.4V (actually 11.42V) was measured with a digital multimeter, as were the other voltages in the paragraph above. The multimeter in question can be seen in a photo, and its seller is identified, in my recent "Accessories" posting in this forum.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:32 am

Wow, the UC-12EB undervolts really well! Reminds me of the Titan/Evercools. Hopefully indictive of its sibling UC-12AEBS as well.

The coolerguys.com page for the UC-12AEBS mentions something about fan restarting (though they also mention BBing, which apparently it doesn't have lol). Has your experimentation yeilded whether this as just a marketing gag or actually something attractive.

First rate work FC, among the other work/threads of yours. I remember when you joined and started getting involved here not to long ago. It's awesome to see recent members maturing to contributing status. Me, well, all I do is quote others lol. :)

DrCR