Controller suggestion for S-Flex and Yate Loon D12SL-12's?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gourdo_1

Controller suggestion for S-Flex and Yate Loon D12SL-12's?

Post by gourdo_1 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:08 pm

I've got 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12s and 2x Scythe S-flex fans for a total of 4 fans that I'd like to control. Can anyone recommend a 4-fan controller, perhaps a 5.25 bay controller?

The 4-fan controllers I've seen appear to use PWM, and I'm not sure if I'll hear whining or not. Anyone know if these fans can be quietly controlled with a PWM controller?

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:32 pm

I recommend the Sunbeam Rheobus. It can control 4x 3pin fans (also comes with some adaptor cables to it can also control 4pin fans).
It doesnt use PWM, it actually lowers the voltage just like a Fanmate.
Also, it has a range from 0v to 12v, so you can fully turn off a fan from the controller.

TedMC
Patron of SPCR

Re: Controller suggestion for S-Flex and Yate Loon D12SL-12'

Post by TedMC » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:19 pm

gourdo_1 wrote:I've got 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12s and 2x Scythe S-flex fans for a total of 4 fans that I'd like to control. Can anyone recommend a 4-fan controller, perhaps a 5.25 bay controller?

The 4-fan controllers I've seen appear to use PWM, and I'm not sure if I'll hear whining or not. Anyone know if these fans can be quietly controlled with a PWM controller?
I use a zalman ....its not pwm and works really well. Fits onto 2 drive rails and clicked right into my upper 5.25 bay.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std ... -MFC1.html

gourdo_1

Post by gourdo_1 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:50 pm

Hey guys. Yep, looks like it's down to these two. Probably will go with the Rheobus. Does it at all make sense to use this to control the CPU fan (a Scythe mounted to an Ultra-120), or should that still be plugged into the motherboard and thermally controlled from there?

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:25 am

I personally would conrol it using a fan controller, but it really is up to you.
I prefer having full control over all of my fans so that I can crank them up and down whenever I like.
However, if you prefer to just set it and leave it alone, it is probably better to have it thermally controlled.

monkey.d.luffy

Post by monkey.d.luffy » Sun May 06, 2007 10:34 am

I'm thinking on buying 4 Scythe S-Flex fans and a Rheobus to control them and was wondering what were your results gourdo_1.

I've read so many opinions and the more I read the less confident I am in buying these fans.
viewtopic.php?t=35981&highlight=pwm+scythe

BTW, is there any non-PWM (since with PWM the S-Flex start buzzing, rouring, singing, whatever) fan controller that can be put in 5.25'' bay and doesn't has those leds?
My computer is right beside my bed so I would end up with those lights in my face =/

Thanks

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun May 06, 2007 11:09 am

monkey.d.luffy wrote:My computer is right beside my bed so I would end up with those lights in my face =/
The LEDs have 3 leads. Pull the center lead of each out of its socket. Sleep well! :D