using both anti-vibration fan mounts and soft fan mounts?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lanceuppercut

using both anti-vibration fan mounts and soft fan mounts?

Post by lanceuppercut » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:52 am

got some of those acousti soft fan mounts, is it worth picking up those rubber pads like these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... 4&doy=19m4 to use with the soft mounts or is that overkill?

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:15 am

Stick with the sticks! The soft fan mounts/sticks, mount the fan away from the case, thereby isolating the fan from the case. If you also fit the pads/gaskets, they’ll either: a/ fill that gap between fan and case = less isolation, or b/ won’t fill the gap = having no effect whatsoever.

Used by themselves, the pads/gaskets have very limited effect. The soft fan mounts/sticks are much more effective.

lanceuppercut

Post by lanceuppercut » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:29 am

sticking with the soft mounts! this silencing lark doesnt come cheap, there always seems to be a "ooh i can get this and this to make it quieter!" :)

nici

Post by nici » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:04 am

If you have some DIY skills silencing doesn't have to be expensive. I like weatherstripping and zip-ties to mount my fans, it isolates well, is very secure and easy to mount. and cheap. Also there's no gap between the fan and the case.

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:51 pm

I think using the soft fan gaskets with zip ties through the holes is a better way of mounting than using the rubber sticks.
It completely stops the vibrations and there is a complete seal around the fan.
Just dont tighten the zip-ties too much...

nici

Post by nici » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:30 am

Weatherstripping is a lot cheaper and does exactly the same thing as the gaskets, only much better.

Fungi

Post by Fungi » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:05 pm

A really cheap solution is little velcro circles. Easy to put on, easy to remove.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:28 am

That works, but it doesn't seal the edges around the fan. If that has any effect in an unrestrictive system, i have no idea. But it can't hurt to have the edges sealed.

miztahsparklez

Post by miztahsparklez » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:17 pm

would rope caulk work(almost like a putty type deal)? or does soft foam stripping work better?

I use non-hardening modeling clay when mounting speakers in-car to provide a "tough" backing. but i dont think that may be the point here...

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:04 pm

I think the cheapest method is the one I recommend :)

Blu Tack or better still UHU White Tack (doesn't harden as much as the Blu Tac).

I use four blobs (one on each corner of the fan) and use a cable tie in a couple of the holes. I don't close the cable tie - just use a blob of tack on the other side so the cable tie doesn't slide through (highly unlikely but...).

Beat that someone please :)

BTW UHU White Tack can be bought from Poundland.

miztahsparklez

Post by miztahsparklez » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:07 pm

actually now that i think about it.. the nonhardening clay may just do the trick... the way i think, it may just add enough density so that the metal doesnt resonate with the fan rpm frequency...

what do you guys think? i use the same block of clay in the car where temperatures reach extremes, so its probably safe to say the computer should be fine too.