Scythe S-Flex E not reliably starting!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

panda-R

Scythe S-Flex E not reliably starting!

Post by panda-R » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:56 am

I'm running some Scythe S-Flex E's as a rear case fan and heatsink fan on Tuniq Tower, and the rear one won't reliably start at 7v's anymore! I've only had it for maybe half a year...

is there anything i can do, maybe lube the bearing or something? I just need to give it a little kickstart to get it going again, but they arent hooked up to a fan speed monitor so i don't know when they aren't working properly...

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:19 am

S-Flex have year warranty. RMA it, if you can.

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:12 am

Is it, uhm, filthy? Funk can fuck up fans; finely feathered fuzz is a fair-weather friend at best, face, er, falue.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:12 am

alliteration always annoys arbitrary anal antagonists.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:48 am

Mine did not, in the same system my NCB's start fine.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:54 am

jaganath wrote:alliteration always annoys arbitrary anal antagonists.
LOLZ

anyways... my system is pretty clean , and the fans get cleaned maybe 1-2 months on the blades and stuff... maybe i ruined the motor when vaccuming them... RMAing them would not be worth it as shipping cost will end up being close to what the fans sell for!

maybe time for some Slfex-D's

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:13 pm

My S-Flex E starts at 3.8V. If yours no longer starts at 7V, something must be wrong with it. They are specified to last 3 eons past the end of eternity, so you haven't reached the design EOL.

If you're using the "7V trick" your best bet is to shrug and replace it. I'd start worrying if the same thing happened twice.

If you're using a fan controller, buy one of the new A-C PWM fans and use it as a 3-pin fan (no connection on the PWM 4th pin). They sound *exactly* like the Sflex-E, and they have a "start circuit" built in. Plus they have a wider range of RPMs than the S-flex E, and are cheaper! :D