Need a little help with a 120mm CPU-fan.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

9544ster

Need a little help with a 120mm CPU-fan.

Post by 9544ster » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:36 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a CPU-fan for the Thermalright XP-120. I can't get the Globe which is featured in the review of the XP-120, so I have been looking at either the Nexus Real Silent D12SL or the Yate Loon D12SL, but I don't know if they are good as a CPU-fan.

It needs to cool my AMD FX-60 - plus if you have any recommendations on airflow direction for the fan it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

-Mikkel

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:33 am

Fan should blow down onto mobo. This is usually the most effective way for both mobo component and heatsink cooling. The Nexus/YL are sleeve bearing fans, so not the best choice if the heatsink is very hot(longevity) or mounted horizontally(bearing doesn't work properly).

Out of the recommended list S-Flex is probably a bit better heat-wise, ball bearing would be best for longevity. I don't see an immediate problem with using a Nexus though(unless closed corners are a no-no), it's just a longevity issue if anything.

Try the Search function to see if you can find existing combos.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:02 am

For an XP-120 fan, I'd recommend the Globalwinor Scythe S-Flex 1200 rpm model, both of which have tested well in recent SPCR comparisons, use bearings that should work great on a CPU cooler (although the fan on an XP stays pretty cool), and have enough speed to give some headroom under load. I tried a Nexus on mine and it didn't have anough airflow for me to feel comfortable with it under worst case conditions. My Papst 4412 F/2GL works great at 6-11V (700-1300 rpm), but is hard to find in the US and more expensive.
Das_Saunamies wrote:Fan should blow down onto mobo. This is usually the most effective way for both mobo component and heatsink cooling.
That is conventional wisdom. I've tried it both directions repeatedly, and at least for my setup (shown here), blowing up or down make no difference in CPU temp, but blowing down increased my (already hot under load) Vreg temps by 7C, while decreasing the northbridge temps the same amount. I've got it blowing up so that CPU, NB and Vreg temps all level out at 44-47C (about 25 above ambient room temp) under max load. It's very easy to flip the fan on an XP/SI heatsink, so experiment for what works best in your rig.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:54 am

Yeah, individual cases vary, so experimenting will provide the best solution. I just switched to a 9500 with flow-through design, trying to solve the intake and flow troubles in my Sonata II.

9544ster

Post by 9544ster » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:16 am

Thank you all for the answers and recommendations. I will have a look at the Scythe as I cannot locate the GlobalWin here in Denmark.

I do not have a fan controller, is that going to be a problem?

Thanks

Mikkel

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:53 am

If you don't want to adjust the 1200 RPM fan, then it isn't. But I'd heartily recommend that you do, as it can perform just as good at lower RPM and lower noise. ;)

A Fan Mate 2 costs a few euros, go for it. You could also opt to choose a panel to cover future expansions, read the Fans & Control forum to see what's what.

Have fun!