Front Intake Fan and Dust?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sainty

Front Intake Fan and Dust?

Post by Sainty » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:25 pm

I plan on having a 120mm intake fan in the front of my Antec case. The case offers a standard mesh filter, but I was wondering if you folks recommend an after-market one. Do after-market fan filters offer better airflow/noise reduction due to impedance issues or is this just getting nitty gritty? If you use a custom material in your rig for fan filtering, what is it and how did you order it/fabricate it?

Last but not least, my computer will be fairly near the floor, but not quite resting on it. Will keeping the machine close the ground make a noticeable difference due to slightly lower ambient temps compared to keeping on a desk approximately 2 and a half feet higher? Also, putting the computer below the desk, will that create more dust issues?

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:24 pm

Good questions you've posted, I have wondered about the same things regarding the filters. Hopefully there will be some helpful replies.

As for placement of the computer, near the floor versus up a bit higher, I doubt that the difference in ambient temp, if any, will make more than a degree difference. However, as far as dust is concerned I think it can make a very big difference. It seems much dustier near the floor. Also, any pet hair, which is much heavier than dust, will fall to the floor and, potentially, be sucked up by the computer.

Sainty

Post by Sainty » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:18 pm

I do not have any pets in the house, plus I do have two Ionic Breeze machines running in a small bedroom. Hopefully the dust issue will be minimized, but I really want to max out the desk space a bit.

Just for your edification, someone on another forum I post at suggested that panty hose does the trick and you can't beat the price. The downside of course is that you have to be caught in the panty hose section and explain yourself to the store clerk. :oops: :P :shock:

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:23 pm

You could always do what my dad did and get them used! (He used them to strain paint)

Sainty

Post by Sainty » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:59 pm

I'm not married so I can't easily go about stealing them. :D

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:07 am

The stock P182 filters works fine for me, but ofcourse you still have to vacuum the case from time to time, just not as often... tho, remember to clean the filters from time to time ;) (just rinse them in water and dry them off with a towel - takes about 5 minutes)

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:46 am

Sainty wrote:I do not have any pets in the house, plus I do have two Ionic Breeze machines running in a small bedroom. Hopefully the dust issue will be minimized, but I really want to max out the desk space a bit.
Don't the ionic air cleaners make the dust clump and fall out of the air? Seems that is what I remember from the late 1070's when they first became popular.
Saiinty wrote:Just for your edification, someone on another forum I post at suggested that panty hose does the trick and you can't beat the price. The downside of course is that you have to be caught in the panty hose section and explain yourself to the store clerk. :oops: :P :shock:
I'd prefer something that caught smaller particles than panty hose would. As for the explaining to the store clerk, you could just say that you are a Republican politician or political consultant :wink: Given the three major news stories that have broken here in Florida about them in the last year or so, the clerk would just take it in stride.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:04 am

I've had moderately good luck with the filters designed to be put in the small floor registers of hosues that use forced air heating. hey do restrict the airflow a bit but they catch the majority of the dust, and while ot a problem in your case, virtually all of the pet hair.