is a software-based closed-loop fan controller available?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ginahoy

is a software-based closed-loop fan controller available?

Post by ginahoy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:37 am

I'm still learning the basics, so hopefully my question isn't ill-informed, but I've been looking for a fan control product that may or ma not exist.

I have in mind a multi-channel fan controller that responds to existing system temperature sensors (e.g., mobo, CPU) instead of (or in addition to) having to install add-on sensors. And rather than having an expensive physical control panel, the user interface would be totally software-based. The voltage control circuitry could either be on a PCI card or it could be stand-alone with a USB connection inside the case.

From the software, the user could associate each voltage control channel with any available temperature channel, as well as set voltage thresholds.

I haven't seen such a product. If it exists, please let me know. :lol:

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:06 am

Something like the mCubed T-Balancer range of products?

scdr

Post by scdr » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:49 pm

Or speedfan (for an all software approach that uses existing computer hardware).

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 am

Thanks! I'll check those out.

I bought a passive video card (Sparkle 7600 GS). I cut a whole in the bottom of my case and installed a 120mm SFLEX with FSB bearing. Those cards can get pretty hot and I figure the S-Flex will be a whole lot quieter than any dedicated video fan on the market. That's a key aspect of my silent PC strategy.

I've seen posts here where folks have reported temperature of the GPU. Does this necessarily require an add-on sensor, or do some cards have this built in?

David

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:06 am

For a fan controller on my newest setup, I'm using a VL Systems LIS2 controller. It has four independent channels, and uses MB sensors only. It relies on speedfan, can be setup on automatic or manual, with each fan relying on a different sensor, and can run from 0-100%. Hard to find anymore however.....

Speedfan can get sensor readings from nvidea cards.....