How would a Nexus PWM compare to a basic model?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

floepie

How would a Nexus PWM compare to a basic model?

Post by floepie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:22 pm

So, I see the 80mm Nexus comes in a PWM flavor. I will be installing in an HTPC case. The case has 2 80mm exhaust and 2 80mm inlets. The board I will be using is an IP35 pro with its fantastic control of fan speeds, so I have no need for fan controllers.

It seems the PWM can be varied over a greater range of RPM due to is PWM control (high frequency pulses and long duty cycle). So, this begs the question, would there be any improvement at all over an already very silent basic (3-wire) Nexus version?

The way I understand it is that with a 3 pin fan, I could simply set it and forget it in the BIOS - rise slightly and fall slightly at a given temp threshold. With a 4 pin fan I could have the fan operating at speed lower than what could be achieved with the lowest possible voltage (a little lower than startup voltage, which is required to overcome bearing friction) of the 3-pin fan. Is that correct?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:28 am

I don't think there's any one answer that would apply to all PWM fans in all setups. The only PWM fans I own so far, are the 100x12mm Scythe fans. These require a rather high analog or PWM voltage to start and stay running (about 8V).....which surprised me.

floepie

Post by floepie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:06 am

Bluefront wrote:I don't think there's any one answer that would apply to all PWM fans in all setups.
OK, but is there an advantage to a PWM fan besides a greater RPM range?
Bluefront wrote: The only PWM fans I own so far, are the 100x12mm Scythe fans. These require a rather high analog or PWM voltage to start and stay running (about 8V).....which surprised me.
Isn't that because PWM fans are intended to be run at pulses of 12V?