Incredible noise in Nexus PWM!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Javichu1984

Incredible noise in Nexus PWM!

Post by Javichu1984 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi everybody.

I´ve read this board since a lot of time, but I´ve never post anything, so this is my first post...

I´m from Spain, and I´m a noise killer xD becouse my room is really small, and I had 3 Computers on it, so They had to be as quiet as posible...

Well, so today I was silencing my new barebone (Shuttle SG33G5M) with a Nexus 92mm PWM fan, and I promise you is the most noisiest fan I´ve ever heard!

It has a terrify noise like a modem sound, and is imposible to work with it...I hope, it was a bad one, but I´ve tried another one with a worst result, it sounds even more...!

They´re connected to my PWM motherboard, and It produces an electronic sound...is like a modem at the same vol I promise...

What do you think should be the problem? The only thing is that the cable was too long, and ´ve tyed it like all my other fans, and I never had problems...

I don´t know why, but is like it has a built in speaker, its horrible...

I don´t think is nexus problem, but I don´t really know what could be...

Thank you a lot for your help!

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:24 pm

Does your mobo have a 3-pin fan header? Then plug in your 4-pin PWM fan and see if the problem goes away. Or use a 4-pin molex to 3-pin fan adapter instead of the mobo header.

If the problem doesn't go away, it's likely the fan. If it does go away, it's an undesirable interaction between the 4-pin mobo header and the PWM fan. If this is so, there might be bios settings allowing the 4-pin header to be used in different ways, and the bios is now set to be incompatible with your fan. Good luck!

Javichu1984

Post by Javichu1984 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:28 pm

The Shuttle has a 4 pin PWM header...

As the fan that comes with the shuttle is a Shuttle PWM fan and works perfectly...

The thing is that if I plug the fan onto a 3 pin header it will work only at top speed, and at this speed there is no "modem noise" even with the PWM header...

I don´t know what could be...the thing is that only happens strange things to me...

THank you a lot for your help!

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:09 am

Just because your fan is plugged into a 3 pin header doesn't mean it has to run at full speed.

You might want to take a look at Speedfan. You may actually find that speedfan works better for you than PWM.

Or you could consider doing the 5v or 7v wiring mod.