Cosmos S , Cooling and silence.. Shhhh..

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

EarlZ

Cosmos S , Cooling and silence.. Shhhh..

Post by EarlZ » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 am

I will be getting a Cosmos S very soon and i would like to ask some advices on how can I maximize the cooling while maintaining a very acceptable noise level.

My current specs

Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz w/ TRUE120ex
Abit IP35-E
6GB DDR2-800
8800GT 1GB w/ VF-1000 (on low)
X-Fi Extreme Music
WD 250GB (audible spindle spinning even when idle)
Silverstone ST75ZF (750Watts, noisy 80mm fan)

Im planning to get 3 Zalman F3 LED (RED) fans for the top and run it with the silent connector w/c runs the fan at about 800-1000rpm @ 6v and maybe change the resistor in the silent connector to allow 4.9~50. that should allow the fan to operate totally silent.

For the front intake, maybe just leave the stock single 120mm red led fan or change it to something or add 2 800rpm fans?

and whats the best 120mm exhaust for the cosmos S ?

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 am

I'm sure you don't need 4 exhaust fans. :shock:

EarlZ

Post by EarlZ » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:27 am

Shaman wrote:I'm sure you don't need 4 exhaust fans. :shock:
Yeah i know, but i would want them to be there at a very low voltage to eliminate the noise.. just for the bling factor.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:03 am

I have experimented with ZALMAN fans, especially ZM-F3 models. Trust me, with the included adapter they are very audible, but getting them down to 5V they are not that audible, but still produce a bit noise...

Given your PSU and other components your PC will be very noisy anyway so there is no hope for you to get your gaming rig nice n cool while being virtually silent (or even near that level). So don't worry about noisy fans, your PSU and HDD will most likely do more noise...

More fans is NOT the same as better airflow and temperatures... I think you should experiment with your rig. Don't rush. Do it like I do; I was very excited about my new build and wanted to go for the route of buying more and more stuff, but then decided that first I try all components in the case without intakes, but only a single exhaust. Looked at the temps in BIOS and rebooted nearly 100 times (always adding or removing a fan). I ended up with a single back exhaust and top exhaust and no intakes. System is very cool, but I don't have as powerful components like you do so you will need a couple more fans, but certainly don't rush. You'll end up with two or more unused fans if you just buy and buy and buy....

On the other hand, your mileage may vary so it's actually up to you to decide the bling factor ;)

EarlZ

Post by EarlZ » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:11 pm

True, my harddrive and psu will be more loud than any of my fans installed.

EarlZ

Post by EarlZ » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:01 am

replaced my drive with a samsung spinpoint F1 1TB series, now the loudest part in my PC is the PSU.