Vostro 200 cpu fan (pwm) rpm too agressive at load.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

deadfones

Vostro 200 cpu fan (pwm) rpm too agressive at load.

Post by deadfones » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:43 pm

I have a vostro 200 slim desktop. I upgraded the e4500 to a e6600 and ever since, the stock cpu temp/rpm fan control has been too aggressive. It never seemed audible before. Now at load, the fan ramps up to a loud 2400 rpm and the cpu temp is stable at 53c. Idle is 1700 rpm and 42c, which is not bad over the whine of this old seagate drive.

Speedfan doesn't have any affect on the rpms. Google tells me the mobo is foxconn g33 based. I tried loading fox one but it says mobo not compatible. I have the latest dell bios. There are no rpm controls in the bios.

Is there a software fix or do I need to replace the fan?

I have a spare panaflo l1a that is powered fine by the 4-pin pwm header, but the panaflo is only red/black tailed and i get a cpu fan error at boot. Can l1as report rpm if I add the yellow wire, and will that satisfy the mobos pwm fan rpm sensor? There's no option to ignore cpu fan error; I have to hit f1.

I also have some zalman fanmate 1s. Can they be any help for a pwm fan?

deadfones

Post by deadfones » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Saw this post to change speedfan settings and software controlled seems to work. viewtopic.php?p=457435#457435 . I'll update if more problems arise.