Scythe S-flex/Slipstream/Kaze

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CroSsFiRE2.0

Scythe S-flex/Slipstream/Kaze

Post by CroSsFiRE2.0 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Well, it's that time of year again...the time to get new silent fans because of a stupid decision to try out a pair of non refundable cooler master blue led 120mm fans that are loud...even at 5v, the stock 120 and 140 antec tricools that came with my antec 300 case.

I already have a s-flex e and a 1krpm slipstream that came with my ninja 2. However, the s-flex is happily running in my power supply (Corsair 450VX) quietly. The slipstream doesn't do a bad job when mounted on the psu but I'm getting an idle of around 45C with only these two fans running. I'd like some feedback on the best way of cooling my rig. At the moment, I'm looking at putting the 1k slipstream as the exhaust since its got no static pressure. As for what I'd replace my cpu fan and gpu fan on my accelero, I have no clue. I'm leaning towards another slipstream or sflex at either 1200/1500rpm and thinking of volt modding them through the molex adapters. Any thoughts or ideas on fan choice/ noise/fan setup would be great.

Also, are there any other reasonably priced fans out there that would be as quiet as the s-flex and reasonably cheap aka..AC 120mm PWM's? but definitely not Noctua's lol

dev

Post by dev » Sun May 10, 2009 12:56 am

Slipstreams seem to have a bit of a quality issue over time.

For your case the best choice at this moment is the Gentle typhoon 1150. Its quiter than a Slipstream at 800 moves about the same amount of air and is built like a tank. I wouldn't recommend them for PSUs and heatsinks because of the low pressure but they manage case cooling just fine.

Kovilit

Post by Kovilit » Sun May 10, 2009 12:00 pm

As for SlipStreams there are many complaints about them in terms of life time. The cause is very simple, they have very poor lubricant inside and very small quantity at that, which totally evaporates within a few months. I would highly recommend to lubricate them just after purchase. Car motor oil is ideal, 2-3 drops...

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun May 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Kovilit wrote:As for SlipStreams there are many complaints about them in terms of life time. The cause is very simple, they have very poor lubricant inside and very small quantity at that, which totally evaporates within a few months. I would highly recommend to lubricate them just after purchase. Car motor oil is ideal, 2-3 drops...
Indeed. That has helped a lot.

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 pm

can you guys recommend a fan that would be quite at its lowest setting with a fan controller, and move a great amount of air at full speed?

ekerazha

Post by ekerazha » Wed May 13, 2009 8:38 am

dev wrote:Slipstreams seem to have a bit of a quality issue over time.

For your case the best choice at this moment is the Gentle typhoon 1150. Its quiter than a Slipstream at 800 moves about the same amount of air and is built like a tank. I wouldn't recommend them for PSUs and heatsinks because of the low pressure but they manage case cooling just fine.
Don't ball-bearing fans (Gentle Typhoon is DBB) become noisier over time? Maybe a S-FLEX could be a better choice?

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Thu May 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Given the quality issues with the Slipstream, the S-Flex seems like the way to go. How does it compare to the Nexus in terms of air movement and noise at around 800 rpm?

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Post by IKIKUINTHENUTZ » Thu May 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Kreed wrote:Given the quality issues with the Slipstream, the S-Flex seems like the way to go. How does it compare to the Nexus in terms of air movement and noise at around 800 rpm?
I have both fans. When I ran the nexus and the s-flex side by side @ 800rpm, the S-flex had a higher noise characteristics but the air felt more pressured. (I don't have equipment to record numbers properly) In all honestly I prefer the S-flex if there are more things impeding your airflow such as air filters for dense fins on a heatsink.

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Thu May 14, 2009 10:39 pm

For those of you who have lubricated your Slipstream (somehow, they sounded kinda rude), have you had any problems since? Will the lubrication improve the longevity? Will it make it as reliable as the S-Flex or Nexus? Will the fan still become more noisy over time with Lubrication?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri May 15, 2009 4:52 am

Hi,

Another Scythe fan to consider is the Gentle Typhoon -- they are similar to the Slipstreams in that they have a greater number than average curved blades, though they differ in having ball bearings and a large hub.

Ruu

Post by Ruu » Fri May 15, 2009 4:10 pm

Kovilit wrote:As for SlipStreams there are many complaints about them in terms of life time. The cause is very simple, they have very poor lubricant inside and very small quantity at that, which totally evaporates within a few months. I would highly recommend to lubricate them just after purchase. Car motor oil is ideal, 2-3 drops...
Where and how exactly am I supposed to apply the oil? Can someone provide me a detailed description or, better yet, a picture? Is some assembly required, or do I just... find a gap in the plastic and dribble a teeny bit in? I literally have no idea how to go about lubricating my fans, lol. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Sat May 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Hello IKIKUINTHENUTZ, I see you have migrated from OCForums:P

The slipstream is less expensive then the S-Flex, but it has more CFM and DBa. Im wondering would it be better to get the S-Flex, Slipstream, or Nexus D12SL-12 ?

Sflex higher noise but higher cfm as well when compared to nexus. what if you use a fan controller? would it then be better to have the nexus then?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 17, 2009 2:30 am

Hi,

You really cannot go by the specifications, even for Scythe.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Sun May 17, 2009 2:49 am

I think that oiling the slipstream requires peeling sticker off. Under that you find a "hole". Drop few drops there.

KyonCoraeL

Post by KyonCoraeL » Sun May 17, 2009 3:10 am

CyberDog wrote:I think that oiling the slipstream requires peeling sticker off. Under that you find a "hole". Drop few drops there.
That's how I did it with my 80mm back in the day. I bought a 2100 RPM slipstream and slowed it down to 800 RPM with my fan controller and it hasn't run out of lubricant yet :) (8 months of running at 800 RPM)