A Problem with the NF-P12

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cake_Eater

A Problem with the NF-P12

Post by Cake_Eater » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:03 am

I recently built a computer that required a fairly beefy heatsink and a good, preferably quiet, fan to pair to that heatsink. I purchased a TRUE and put an NF-P12 on it and was of the impression that it and my motherboard would play nice. Unfortunately now that I've noticed the CPU fan a little more than before and tried to adjust it, I realize that I can't. I also realize that I, stupidly, either tossed or lost the speed limiting resistors. I just wanted to know if anyone here had a way to limit the speed of this fan without the ability to control it in BIOS, I'm considering getting a fan controller for it if all else fails.

P.S. Motherboard is a Rampage II Gene if that helps.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:45 am

Hi!

Asus' problem is latest motherboards have been that no 3-pin fan can be adjusted. Only 4-pin PWM. It sucks big time. I have that same problem in P5Q Pro, or I had before getting PWM fan.

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:22 pm

What about the case fan headers? CPU headers are PWM controlled only but case fans are 3pin voltage controlled.

Cake_Eater

Post by Cake_Eater » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:33 pm

Hypernova wrote:What about the case fan headers? CPU headers are PWM controlled only but case fans are 3pin voltage controlled.
I haven't tried the case fan headers, to be honest the Rogue makes wiring a bit of a clusterfuck, but I'll try and put it into one of those and see if it fixes it, thanks.