Time to replace the slipstreams.. what now?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copyright

Time to replace the slipstreams.. what now?

Post by Copyright » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Well couple of my slip streams are making more noise then usual. These are case fans for exhaust. I want something that will last a long time. Possibly the Noctua S12? Or are there any others? I was considering Gentle Typhoons but heard they make noise also? My setup isnt silent but is fairly quiet. Thx for any help!

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:32 pm

I did some more reading.. looks like the GT are actually pretty nice so I will give them a shot and see how it .goes

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:50 pm

I think you are on the right track -- the Gentle Typhoons are ball bearing, and they have very long MTBF ratings.

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:10 am

Try lubricating those Slipstreams. A drop of machine oil can make them as good as new.

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 am

Some fresh lubrication may be all your fans need. But, if you want to upgrade, then there are some good choices out there that should be long lasting.

Scythe Gentle Typhoon
NoiseBlocker M12
Noctua S12B
Scythe S-Flex
Enermax Twister Bearing fans

I've tried the Gentle Typhoons, Slipstreams, and M12s. So far, the GT has the best noise character (except for a high pitched resonance at some speeds), but the M12 has a quieter bearing (long life sleeve). The SS has the most airflow.

jjwa

Post by jjwa » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:53 am

It sounds like I am in a situation similar to that of Copyright.

My 16 months old Slipstream 1200 fans have started to make more noise and some have even started to run slower or something even have difficulty starting up on boot. If I do not turn all my fans to 12V, my GPU overheats during games :(.

I have tried to contact Scythe about this, to see if
1) this is expected and I should buy new ones,
2) this is not what should happen, and because of warranty, I could receive replacements from Scythe,
3) I am supposed to perform maintenance, oiling them (which might void my warranty if I have to remove stickers on the hub).
No reaction from Scythe tho.

From the reactions here, it sounds like I should use up a few hours of my weekend to take apart my PC and go crazy. Get rid of all the dust, reinstall all fans to add oil, etcetera.

I run my fans on 5V most of the time. Is there a difference between fans (from Darth Santa Fe's list for example) on how well they behave when undervolted? Would be good to know if I choose to replace them.

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:22 am

If they're not put vertically, or used close to a heat source, such a heatsink or inside a PSU, or they ran continuously during this time, then the bearing dries up faster than normal, so oiling them might be the solution. Dust may also prevent them to spin freely and add air resistance, so they run slower.
If cleaning and oiling won't solve a thing, then they must be replaced. On a side note, I never saw a fan RMA'd, probably they won't take it back by marking it as mishandled/misused.

jjwa

Post by jjwa » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:25 am

Hm, I never realized a vertical orientation would also make a difference. That is very interesting, because for me it is indeed the only horizontally mounted fan, that is making the worst noise. I also have several pretty close to a heatsource, and all of them run 24/7. I guess I am just a very demanding user :D. Well, time for grease then!

Thanks for your information.

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:45 am

I got the GT's in... I have to say they sound pretty good. There is some light bearing noise when close but you get a foot away and you don't hear it. Their overall sound is nice. I do notice they don't move as much air as the slipstreams. This is just going off of feel but is easily noticeable. I can run the 1150rpm almost full blast and it doesn't bother me but I have it at ~860rpm right now and its fairly quiet. That huge hub probably is hurting its airflow.

zodaex

Post by zodaex » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:54 am

Whats the best oil to lube your case fans with?

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:39 pm

This thread is a good enough reason to consider the expected lifetime of fans when buying them and then from the quiet ones buy the ones that last longest.

But how to know which ones do indeed last the longest?

Having to perform any physical maintenance to a PC is not fun. At least not to me. I prefer them to just work once I have set them up the first time.

veyd

Post by veyd » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:30 pm

zodaex wrote:Whats the best oil to lube your case fans with?
Don't know if it's the best, but I've given new life to some Slipstreams with oil meant for sewing machines.