Dead Scythe :(

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AK_0

Dead Scythe :(

Post by AK_0 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Today I was doing a bit of PC tinkering originally brought on by noticing the hard drives in the lower bay of my P182 getting rather warm. Upon investigation the fan set in the middle of the lower section was stopped. It was totally unobstructed and was powered from the motherboard. Plugged it in elsewhere and it won't start.

I think the fan has died a death. Whereas my other fans spin nicely when pushed manually, this one is incredibly stiff. It's as though the sleeve bearing has got jammed with some glue or something like that. Used to work fine and is about a year old. Not sure what's happened, anyone else experienced this?

The fan is a Scythe SY1225SL12M (Kaze Jyuni 1200 RPM Slipstream)

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:14 pm

I have had fans get noisy. But never die. But sh*t happens. Everything and everyone sooner or later runs out. Yours just died an early death.

That makes a good case for always using two fans on a heat sink and never relying on a single case fan.

AK_0

Post by AK_0 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Hmmm, guess so. Would like to know if anyone else has suffered this kind of failure before?

Interestingly the temperatures for the HDD's seem to be fine now. I guess removing the fan allowed more airflow in the chamber and so the PSU fan is proving sufficient.

Shame to lose the fan though, it was decent. Oh and for record I have 4 fans in total cooling my PC, one for the GPU heatsink, one for the CPU heatsink and 2 for the case. All on a fan controller which alarms if any stop. The one that died was the only one that wasn't on the controller since I deemed it non essential (and only had 4 channels available).

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:35 pm

If it's still in the warranty period, just RMA it.
Also imho, it's better to just design a system that will still be at a safe temp even if one fan goes down. Even my cpu could easily do fanless in my current system without an issue. Then if you do lose a fan, just replace it when possible without any other concerns.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:53 pm

merlin wrote:If it's still in the warranty period, just RMA it.
What is the warranty period?

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:49 pm

I've fixed a couple Antec fans with this problem. The original grease has dried up into more of a thick paste. If you clean the old stuff out and put in some fresh oil or grease (I used Vaseline, but there are probably better choices), it should work fine for a while longer.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Darth Santa Fe wrote:I've fixed a couple Antec fans with this problem. The original grease has dried up into more of a thick paste. If you clean the old stuff out and put in some fresh oil or grease (I used Vaseline, but there are probably better choices), it should work fine for a while longer.
I have heard that sewing machine oil is the ideal oil to use for these fans.

eddieck

Post by eddieck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:51 pm

My Nexus fans do the same. I just lubricate them with sewing machine oil and they work fine... for a few days (on a hot heatsink).