fan mounting: rubber grommets vs. screws

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

guermantes

fan mounting: rubber grommets vs. screws

Post by guermantes » Tue May 10, 2011 12:38 am

Hi,
Is there a noise consideration to take account of when choosing whether to mount a fan (Slipstream 800) with rubber grommets or metal screws?
Or is it just a trade-off between rubber grommets bring simple to install and screws being durable over time?

Thanks!

m1st

Re: fan mounting: rubber grommets vs. screws

Post by m1st » Tue May 10, 2011 1:45 am

If the fan vibrates badly, using rubber grommets can help isolate the vibration and keep it from spreading to the case. I can't say how effective they are, since I usually start out with fans that don't vibrate all that much...

ffha

Post by ffha » Tue May 10, 2011 5:30 am

Rubber plugs are NOT easy to install, but they will last just as long as regular screws do.

They do make a difference when used to mount high RPM fans, but you're better off getting yourself a higher quality fan or fan controller than trying to reduce the sound production of your current one with such plugs.
For me, the difference is negligible and I prefer to mount my fans (including the Slipstream 800) with screws for ease of installation/removal.

mkk

Post by mkk » Tue May 10, 2011 5:42 am

No need for anything with well behaved fans like the Slip Streams or most other relatively low speed fans today. Depending on the position of a fan an alternative mounting system like for instance silicone plugs can however also be quicker to mount/remove than screws. With any problematic kind of fan like a high speed or ball bearing it's best to do away with screws altogether. In some situations where turbulence and/or restrictive exhaust grills rather than vibration is the problem, grommets can be of some use as spacers if any other kind of spacer is not easily made.

guermantes

Post by guermantes » Tue May 10, 2011 6:55 am

Alright! Thanks a lot for your answers.
I'll mount them with screws, then.
Thanks!

Lithium466

Post by Lithium466 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:02 am

I got a slipstream 1200 running ~600-700rpm, and my Thermaltake Tsunami (aluminium) case is so cheap that I am "forced" to use silicone plugs (screws do make a lot more noise) :lol:
But with a case such as Fractal R3, I don't think you may encounter such issue :)

Edit : For me Nexus or Nexus-like (Zalman, Xthermal, etc...) silicone plugs are the most efficient...and quite convenient to use.