How are Gelid Fans in general?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

falcon26

How are Gelid Fans in general?

Post by falcon26 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:48 pm

I want to replace my trusty but old S-flex 120mm 800 rpms fans with this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-35426016

I can't seem to find any real reviews on them. In general how are these fans and the company that makes them?

GuyClinch

Re: How are Gelid Fans in general?

Post by GuyClinch » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:50 pm

I have one and it seems okay but Xbit labs did a round up a while back and they didn't fare that great.. I guess you get what you pay for - the top fans like the Gentle Typhoon AP-14/15 are nearly impossible to find and the NB blacksilent pro is 20 bucks a pop... Those seem to be the best fans along with some Noctua's - near as I can tell.

kendalf

Post by kendalf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:07 am

I have the Gelid Tranquillo cooler which comes with a PWM version of their 12cm fan. I'm quite pleased with the Gelid build quality for the price. Certainly you can pay more and get better and quieter performance, but I think they are one of the best for the price.

Have you seen this review comparing the Gelid Silent 12 to the Noctua NF-P12 and NF-S12 fans? The Gelids performance was in between the two Noctuas (though closer to the higher performing P12) while being much quieter and costing 1/3 the price.

GuyClinch

Post by GuyClinch » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 pm

I would love if Gelid fans were great - because they cheap and they are sleeved and they use FDB style bearings. That's win win win. But..

I am more persuaded by this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... html#sect0

Both the silent pwm and the silent wing are nearly 20% less airflow at the same noise level. That's alot. They just aren't that good. When you add that to a case that might use 3 - 5 fans - that's signifcant. Considering you can pick up the thermalright FDB fan for 10 bucks. But alas no sleeving.

Xbit labs has a stellar reputation - so to me the reviews carry more weight.

NefariousRat

Post by NefariousRat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:07 pm

For what it's worth...
I mounted one Silent 12 PWM pushing through a Zalman CNPS10X on a Phenom II 940 in an Antec NSK4800. Fan was unnoticeable around 750 RPM (as reported by the ASRock mobo). Only heard it when I stuck my head in the case, and even then it was a nice smooth hum; one of the best sounding fans I've been around. I did not use it more than 6 months so I cannot speak to longevity. While I'm sure they can't beat a Noctua, in a lower speed/airflow application these are fantastic value for (so much less!) money.

GCDC

Post by GCDC » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:42 pm

I tried one Gelid fan. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't good.

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Which fan did you try? I'm looking for a few for more affordable builds. Can't put Noctua in all the builds I do!

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:34 pm

How about nexus real silent fans? They aren`t too expensive and their performance is well documented. Cables could be better though..

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 am

Tried Nexus they are quiet and well priced unfortunately I'm not sure they last for the long haul I ended up replacing some (out of warranty)

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:17 am

Just a quick update...

I ordered a Silent 9 Gelid 92mm fan just to see what the situation here ordered via a Hong Kong ebay seller good price of just over £5 with delivery included.
Fan arrived today and I will use it as a replacement TX-3 CPU cooler fan (I have to remove the nasty thermaltake Silent K8 one that's creating noise)

Packaging fairly good but as most will throw it away nobody will really care but I've no problems on this.
Included rubber fan mounts and case sticker noted sleeved wires as well which is nice
Overall manufacturing quality seems decent but hey it's just a fan but the plastics used are perfectly fine to my eye better than some cheaper fans I have used in the past.

Comparing it to the Noctua BF-9 fan I have currently fitted in my new build I woud say the noise level is similar on both at full speed (ie you can hear it but it's not "loud") The Noctua seems to shift a bit more air (a bit being subjective but there isn't a big difference here) The Gelid did not show any notable vibrations running at full speed and like the Noctua becomes very quiet once the volatage is reduced (for my uses as a CPU fan they won't run at full speed anyway) at around 1000rpm you'd not notice it at all in a case.

I cannot comment on long term use for obvious reasons I've not used it long term..but the Gelid 5 year warranty does help in this respect.
Overall I'm left wondering if the NF B9 was such a smart purchase because it cost quite a lot more than this did. I'd be pretty happy to use Gelid fans after this sample not tried the 120mm ones but I will do for other builds and replacement fans over time. I think they're in a good place price/performance if they do last and not suffer from worn bearings they're onto a winner here.

I'm giving them the thumbs up anyway ;-)