best input 120mm intake and 92mm graphics card fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vonbosch

best input 120mm intake and 92mm graphics card fans

Post by vonbosch » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi all,

Recently my intake at the front of my P193 fan failed. It was a 1200 RPM Scythe Slipstream 120mm and, even at ~5V (via a fan controller), I found it the most audible and annoying sound in my system. Maybe it was because it was at the front, maybe it was a bad sample but I was hoping for better, can I expect better and can anyone make any suggestions?

Secondly, I have an identical Slipstream strapped to my VGA heatsink. Since it is horizontally mounted (bad for sleeve-bearings like the Slipstreams or so I have read) and no fan lives forever - I expect it to fail. So I thought I would get ahead of the curve and ask now about a replacement. The heatsink takes 92mm fans, it is a Thermalright HR-03 Rev.A, reverse mounted. So air from that gets 'pulled' straight up, pushed through my CPU cooler (via a 92mm Scythe PWM mounted on a Xigmatec cooler also pushing air straight up) and finally up and exhausted out through a 14" Yate Loon. It is a really nice system which could actually be done in a much smaller case than my P193. Anyways, the point is I want a good, not-sleeve-bearing, 92mm for the graphics card. Again any good recommendations? Something like Scythe Kama Flow (2)?

TIA!

PS Are we not seriously due an new fan article from spcr?

gperete

Re: best input 120mm intake and 92mm graphics card fans

Post by gperete » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:43 am

hi,
i have 2500 rpm 92mm sflexes undervolted to the minimum a kaze q controller will go and its ok but probably not the best there is