Slowing down a 4 pin fan with a 3 pin controller?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lacsap
Friend of SPCR

Slowing down a 4 pin fan with a 3 pin controller?

Post by lacsap » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:16 am

I have a 4 pin fan laying around. I also have a 3 pin fanmate. Any way I can use these 2 together? I can't find any adapter for this. Or can I just cut the plugs of and connect them?

Lacsap :-)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:23 am

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/conad.html
Check here, they have single and double 4 pin to 3pin adapters, im using a fanmate connected to a 4pin with this thing, shipping was $4. though

lacsap
Friend of SPCR

Post by lacsap » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:41 am

Great. Now thet I know it exists, I just need to find a reseller in Canada...

Thanks

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:48 am

sorry i dont know much about ca nadia eh, eh?

lazybum131

Post by lazybum131 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:36 am

Do you have a fan you don't use that has the 3-pin connector? Like the retail fans that come with CPUs?

You can cut the wires and connect them together. You can solder them if it's for long term. I just used electrical tape to cover the bare wire.

If you have an extra 3-pin fan, soldering iron and scissors handy, then it won't cost you anything.

I live in Canada too, haven't seen anyone here carrying 4-pin to 3-pin.

lacsap
Friend of SPCR

Post by lacsap » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:23 am

I was thinking about that too. I just found in a box 2 extension 3 pin cable (one has black-white wires and the other has black-white-red). My fan has red and black wires. Which cables go where?

lacsap
Friend of SPCR

Post by lacsap » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:26 am

... and just found an old S370 cooler with fan. But this one comes with black-yellow-green wires....

Henrik
Friend of SPCR

Post by Henrik » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:51 am

lacsap wrote:... and just found an old S370 cooler with fan. But this one comes with black-yellow-green wires....
The black is ground, the green is positive and the yellow is for monitoring RPM.

BTW: Black is 'always' ground and red is 'always' positive.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:04 pm

Henrik:
lacsap wrote:
... and just found an old S370 cooler with fan. But this one comes with black-yellow-green wires....
The black is ground, the green is positive and the yellow is for monitoring RPM. BTW: Black is 'always' ground and red is 'always' positive.
Glad you put that "always" in quotes... :lol: I would add the words 'SHOULD BE' to those statements, but remind folks that electrons are color blind, and don't know or give a $#!t about what color wire they are running around in! :shock:

By 'convention' black is 'normally' an electrical or signal ground, green or green/yellow is 'usually' a chassis or safety ground, red is +5V and yellow is +12V, but it isn't always the case, especially if anyone besides the manufacturer has been making mods to the system before you got to it.

Unless you don't care if you blow things up, you should NEVER trust wiring colors 100%, but instead use them as a guide and then verify them before connecting anything.

The only RELIABLE methods of verifying are (in rough order of reliability)
1. Use a voltmeter and measure the actual voltages (only works on live circuits, also watch what you use for ground connections and meter polarity)
2. Use MANUFACTURER supplied wiring diagrams and connector pinouts to check for wire ID.
3. Same as #2, but using vendor / other 3rd party supplied information.

Remember that any advice you get in these forums is based on convention not actual examination of YOUR hardware, and MIGHT not be correct.

Gooserider

Elliot
Patron of SPCR

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:48 pm

lazybum131 wrote: I live in Canada too, haven't seen anyone here carrying 4-pin to 3-pin.
Try this:
http://www.vibecomputers.com/index.cfm? ... 36&scat=10

lazybum131

Post by lazybum131 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:38 am

Whoa, i missed that red 4-pin to 3-pin adapter when i checked for them.

Last time i looked i only saw the 3-pin female connectors.

I think browsing around at Vibe triggered my thoughts about using old 3-pin fans actually. Why spend money on connectors I already had?! :) Shipping for a $3 item would've sucked!