4 fans evaluated - 120mm

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

4 fans evaluated - 120mm

Post by Douglas Bailey » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:21 pm

After reading these forums enough you realize that one person's dream fan screeches loud enough to drive the next quiet PC enthusiast insane (who knows, maybe we're all crazy anyway). General consensus seems to be there can be a lot of differences between fans even carrying the same model number. So to add more to the discussion, I post my fan experiment.

Four brand new 120mm fans were tested in a controlled but totally unscientific manner. A very quiet freestanding PSU was placed inside damping material so no noise could be hear from it at all. Each fan was placed on a 4" x 4" block of ½" thick sorbothane with absolutely nothing in front of the fan to impede the airflow.

Each fan was run at full voltage and compared. Then the voltage was reduced by placing a Zalman Fanmate in the line and the test ran again at approximately 7v, then repeated at 5v. Subjective analysis was made of each setting by moving close and away from the running fan while notes were taken. The results (1 is best, 4 worst):

To my ear with my four samples the Papst fan is made of gold, I wish I had a case of them. Based on this test the Antec fan went into the trashcan since I do not believe the particular one I was sent had any redeeming features. I had to drop my Panaflow to the bottom of the list at 5v because it failed to start at that voltage several times. I know this must be an anomaly since so many of you count the Panaflow as the quality standard.

Since I hope to run my case fan at 5v and keep everything cool enough, I am installing the Papst fan in my new system. But I am holding onto the Evercool and consider it a precious resource. There really was no speed where this fan had significant fan noise - just the rushing of wind. If you look at the CFM comparisons and see how much more air this fan moves it comes as no surprise. I concur with others who have written this fan at 5v is comparable to other fans at 7v as far as noise, but moves much more air. If I get into cooling problems with my new setup, the Evercool will replace the Papst.

NeilBlanchard

maybe the Enermax, too?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:31 pm

Hello Douglas:

If possible, could you test the Enermax 120mm Adjustable, as well? I found it to be very quiet at 4.5-5 volts. Smooth, well balanced and just a whooshing sound from the air.

TIA

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:12 pm

I have the Papst 4412 F/2GL and I think it's terrific.

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:16 pm

Unfortunately the papst is $20 per fan...

-Ken

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:20 pm

Gxcad wrote:Unfortunately the papst is $20 per fan...

-Ken
Prices vary. I've seen it for $17.99 at Directron. But what is $20 dollars for a fan that you buy how often? You spend a whole more on a PSU. The way I look at is each component is just that - a single component. When you consider the cost of each component like MB, CPU, PSU, and case, $20 dollars is not much at all for a fan that serves a significant purpose, especially in terms of quiet.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:17 pm

I had to drop my Panaflow to the bottom of the list at 5v because it failed to start at that voltage several times. I know this must be an anomaly since so many of you count the Panaflow as the quality standard.
Actually, the Panaflo 80mm low speed fan is the SPCR reference fan. Not that it is the best, but a very good reference -- generally very quiet, and very consistent. I've gone through at least a hundred, and for the first 80 or more pieces, had hardly any bad ones. My last batch of 20 killed the numbers tho, as nearly half were unacceptably noisy to me.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:33 pm

In my batch of 3 L1A's from casemod 1 is shitty. Theyre all made in japan. Since 80mm L1A's are cheap Id reccomend buying at least 2 at a time since you may find one to be only acceptable at 5v.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:24 am

Douglas Bailey - Thanks for the test. It's interesting.

What does a "twirl" sound like?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:44 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Douglas Bailey - Thanks for the test. It's interesting.

What does a "twirl" sound like?
Come over my house and you can listen. :)

Actually, I got it set at 9 volts and this fan is quiet. That twirl he refers to might be hearing a slight spinning of the blades.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:16 am

Nice roundup Douglas - thanks for the post.

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:58 am

NeilBlanchard- sorry I can't add your Enermax to this evaluation. I don't have one, I don't have the Antec fan anymore, and the Papst is mounted in the case now. The only way this comparison makes sense for me is to hear these fans as compared to themselves one right after the other at the same time. Listening to another fan now I would not be able to tell exactly how it ranked.

Ralf- I understand you asking about "twirl", lol. That is NOT a word to describe sound, but it was the best I could come up with to convey a deep mechanical spin sound that is not air movement.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:00 am

Douglas Bailey: How would you describe the Evercool and the fan below 5v? I have found that the Evercool works good at about 4v and that it is very quiet at that speed.

I do not know however if it starts at such a low voltage, but if you the fan is software-controlled, that is not a problem (if one is ready to accept the sound of the full 12v during startup)

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:44 am

Afraid I could not describe the Evercool fan below 5v since I'm using a Zalman Fanmate. My understanding is that controller bottoms out at 5v and can't go any lower. But I am really impressed by the Evercool Aluminum fan at 5v. Amazing how much air it moves with absolutely no mechanical sound. And the air movement sound at 5v is certainly not offensive to my ear.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:56 am

Douglas Bailey wrote:Afraid I could not describe the Evercool fan below 5v since I'm using a Zalman Fanmate. My understanding is that controller bottoms out at 5v and can't go any lower. But I am really impressed by the Evercool Aluminum fan at 5v. Amazing how much air it moves with absolutely no mechanical sound. And the air movement sound at 5v is certainly not offensive to my ear.
How did you install the fans? I mean like did you use EAR things or Directron rubber sticks?

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:22 am

This test was done with the fans unmounted.

"Each fan was placed on a 4" x 4" block of ½" thick sorbothane with absolutely nothing in front of the fan to impede the airflow."

mfeingol
Friend of SPCR

Post by mfeingol » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:18 pm

I wonder if the Evercool fan might be most useful as an intake fan, since the airflow noise of an intake fan is more muffled than that of the exhaust fan.

In my main system's case (Coolcases D8000 with added Acoustipack), I have a Papst 4412FGL for intake and a 120mm Panaflo L as exhaust. I find the latter to be a tad loud, while the former moves a bit less air and is quieter. Unfortunately, the Panaflo is 38mm thick, so it won't fit in the intake position.

Has anyone used this fan as intake?

jimveta

Post by jimveta » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:56 pm

great info!

do you think aluminum fans are better in terms of vibration/balance/
mechanical noise? the only (partial) aluminum one I have is an
aerocool silent 80mm aluminum casing and i was surprised at how
quiet it was while still flowing well. it also had the least mech noise
and best balanced compared to nexus, silenx, coolermaster, and
vantec stealth (worst balance ever!) fans.

and with regards to the enermax adjustable 120mm .. i think the papst
4412fgl is much better. while the enermax does flow more air at
the same voltage, the noise is MUCH greater and all the ones i have
have some vibrations. which can be really felt in case that uses
fan clamps like the antec slk3700amb. in fact, reducing the speed
tends to make those vibes a little more noticable within the case .. :(

v3n

Post by v3n » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:55 am

wow, just what i wanted to read

cheers Douglas

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:55 pm

Which of the fans mentioned in this thread can be controlled and monitored with the Intel D875PBZ motherboard?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:10 pm

Good to see the Evercool 120mm getting its props. I agree with this:
But I am holding onto the Evercool and consider it a precious resource. There really was no speed where this fan had significant fan noise - just the rushing of wind. If you look at the CFM comparisons and see how much more air this fan moves it comes as no surprise. I concur with others who have written this fan at 5v is comparable to other fans at 7v as far as noise, but moves much more air. If I get into cooling problems with my new setup, the Evercool will replace the Papst.
It's exactly the same observation I had when I got mine. No noise at all other than air movement, no matter how low you turn the voltage.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:13 pm

Also, since someone asked, my Evercool 120mm is definitely quieter than the Enermax 120mm. The enermax is pretty good, but there's a slight mechanical noise to it that I can't get rid of at any RPM.

Sample size is only 1, so YMMV.

edcrane

Post by edcrane » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:58 pm

well, got my evercool alum 120mm from directron today and I love it. at full throttle it's obviously a monster, but at 3v it performs very well and starts everytime. There's definitely airflow noise to contend with, but it's fairly subtle. Using speedfan, I've found my sample requires a minimum of 2.6v to start, but certainly has no problem running far below that afterwards.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:28 pm

JVM wrote:I have the Papst 4412 F/2GL and I think it's terrific.
Is the Papst 4412 F/2GL and the Papst 4412 FGL the EXACT same fan other than the 3pin and 4pin connector?

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:37 pm

slimeballzz wrote:Is the Papst 4412 F/2GL and the Papst 4412 FGL the EXACT same fan other than the 3pin and 4pin connector?
That is correct. You should get the F2/GL if you want RPM reading.

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:08 pm

Maxamus wrote:Im suprised no one ever talks about Zalman case fans.
I have 6 80mm ZMF1's and i have to say that they are super silent!
Got them set at 1200-1600rpm and cant hear them over my HDD
And why would you want to hear about Zalman fans on this thread? Zalman don't have 120mm fans. :)

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:19 am

edcrane wrote:well, got my evercool alum 120mm from directron today and I love it. at full throttle it's obviously a monster, but at 3v it performs very well and starts everytime. There's definitely airflow noise to contend with, but it's fairly subtle. Using speedfan, I've found my sample requires a minimum of 2.6v to start, but certainly has no problem running far below that afterwards.
The percentages in SpeedFan are not directly comparable to voltage levels. :?

But, there's the option of a multimeter being used... :D 8)

Cheers,

Jan