Dell's are still as quiet as mine.

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

liquid_celica

Dell's are still as quiet as mine.

Post by liquid_celica » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:31 am

I don't know why but everytime i walk into my dorm mates room, his freagin dell is still seems to be as quiet and sometimes more than mine!!! All that thing would need is a fan controller and bam...it wins. WHY is this so true!!!
I just found out that my family PC is running a smasung HDD. It runs no exhaust fans which makes it a descent sounding machine as well. Uggg, all these prebuilt machines are making me crazy.

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:57 am

Sounds like there's plenty of room for improvement in your system. Can you list the major sources of noise, with brand/model details?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:15 pm

Search for the old post called (something like) "Why are Dell's So Quiet"

Bottom line is that it's easy to do if you don't mind running your system hotter than us enthusiasts (geeks, whatever) generally feel comfortable doing.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:25 pm

I have a Optiplex(?) model at work with the integrated TFT/micro mobo attached to the back of the TFT and I have to say that you can definitely hear the fans, during quiet times in the office. Wouldn't say that its particularly quiet or particularly noisy.

Not sure what the normal desktop models are like though.

liquid_celica

Post by liquid_celica » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:44 pm

My comp:

ECS 848p-a w/ intel P4 2.4 ghz [zalman 7000ALCU]
1 yamaha cd-rw
1 nvidia geforce fx5200 w/fan [controlled]
1 sound blaster live w 5.25 controller
1 fan controller
2x deskstar 40g [foam rest, went from suspension]
antec smart power [ mod: aerocool fan controlled. ]
2x antec case fan.[controlled]

It's pretty descent but after all that work it seems to be a waist since a dell can do pretty much the same thing. The temps on the dell wouldnt be that bad.

I've been thinking about buying two panaflos/ aerocool to replace the antec case fan but i don't know if i should do that or just get an 80 samsung. Either way, it would seem as if i would put more money for a computer than just going to get a dell.

icancam

Post by icancam » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:45 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Search for the old post called (something like) "Why are Dell's So Quiet"
Bottom line is that it's easy to do if you don't mind running your system hotter than us enthusiasts (geeks, whatever) generally feel comfortable doing.
Here are two articles on Dell OptiPlexes:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article120-page1.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article120-page1.html

I wrote the second of those and plan to release the follow up Part Two in the near future. After considerable tweaking and fine tuning, I was able to reduce the noise level considerably from stock while improving the air flow within the case (with a bottom mounted Nexus 120 mm as will be described in the follow up). There are a number of threads on the subject of Dells, and I recall MikeC underlining the importance of context in one of his posts. Initially, the Dell seemed quiet in the busy environment at work, but when I put it in my very quiet home office it became objectionably noisy. That was what led me to SPCR and into the whole quieting quest. :lol:

icancam

Post by icancam » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:11 pm

:oops: Sorry, the first of those two links to articles on Dell OpitiPlexes was supposed to be: http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =21&page=1

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:16 pm

I don't think a fan controler would do a dell much good, from what I've heard, the quiet ones have just the power supply fan.

I don't know too much about dells, but here's I'd think the advatages or potential advantages of an assembled PC are:

-room for more than one hard drive
-AMD CPU's, including mobile athlons
-more reliable brand mainboards
-whatever size/weight case you want
-decent sound card, or APU, instead of onboard sound or a soundbastard
-(most likely wrong about this one) choice of monitors
...and so on

I took advantage of these options enough to consider it having been worth it, but not as much as I should have.

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:42 pm

FWIW an older HP mounts its HD right in front of the front case fan vertically (like a bar of soap stuck to the rear of the fan) and the front opening is very large and unrestricted. No doubt this contributes to its quietness.