Evercase 4252 Owner Question - Is P180 Quieter?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ecsdude

Evercase 4252 Owner Question - Is P180 Quieter?

Post by ecsdude » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:31 pm

Can anyone who has experience with both using pretty much the same components tell me if the P180 is significantly more quieter or not?
I can hear the CPU fan in my Evercase 4252 pretty well. I think the rear 120mm fan and the hard drive humming adds to that noise a bit as well.
It's just a stock AMD Sempron with retail HSF, Antec 120mm rear fan, and a Samsung Spinpoint and Seagate Barracuda 7200.7...

I'd like to significantly quiet down the system, so if a P180 really makes a big difference I might just order one.

Thanks in advance.

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:09 am

i have a P180 and it did a world of difference to quiet my rig.
But before you get a new case I'd get rid of the obvious noisemakers - stock HSF and the rear case fan. there are lot's of quiet/silent solutions and lots of recommendations for them here.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:13 pm

Hello,

Get a better HSF! That will be much quieter, and it will cool the CPU better. Is the Antec running at 12v? If so, then this is way too noisy! Try it at 5v, please.

Just sticking everything, as is, into a P180 won't make it quiet. It might be 10% quieter? But, if you replace the HSF and run the case fan at 5-7volts -- it will be 90% quieter.

The Evercase 4252 is a very good case, and you should be able to get a quiet system -- your HD's are decent, and I kinda' doubt that you can hear them above the HSF. You don't mention the video card -- is it passive? What about the motherboard northbridge; is it also passive?