PWM-->Analog Fan controller for conventional 3-pin fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:16 am

Both the GA-965P-DQ6 and the P5W DH Deluxe have the ability in the BIOS to select PWM or DC for the CPU fan header. The DQ6 also has this for one of the chassis fan headers. All those headers are 4-pin.

sjschwinn

Post by sjschwinn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:49 am

MikeC wrote: sjschwinn -- You said The FanAmp DOES NOT CONVERT PWM TO DC ANALOG! I would like to hear more about this. We have a reviewer who is about to start work on mCubed fan controllers...

Ditto, Myth! -- I'd like to hear more about your knowledge of the T-ban.
I have the miniNG, the bigNG, the FanAmp, and the analog SensorHub (plus a couple attenuators for good measure). I made a big order direct from m-Cubed in Germany a couple months ago, and worked with their tech support in regards to the FanAmp. I've done extensive testing of the FanAmp, and just beginning to work with the bigNG.

You can e-mail me if you want about the FanAmp, or we could start a new thread. I don't know if we want to contaminate this thread with a discussion of the FanAmp. Your choice. My mail is "sjs at iname dot com".

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:55 am

sjschwinn -- check your email.

leem

Post by leem » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:39 pm

Hi MikeC,

Good news about the MCubed review, will you be covering all the components sjschwinn has? (bigNG, FanAmp, analog SensorHub, attenuators)

I'd be very interested in a comparable review of something like THIS, using sensors and the motherboard SMBus to control fan speeds... so no T-Balancer required! Any chance of extending the review?

:)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:15 pm

leem wrote:I'd be very interested in a comparable review of something like THIS, using sensors and the motherboard SMBus to control fan speeds... so no T-Balancer required! Any chance of extending the review?
That's quite something, I am shocked I missed the post before. Will have to point it out to the reviewer, but not sure that a comparison can be made. There's always issues of time, effort & complexity.

leem

Post by leem » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 pm

Cool! I sent a PM to Webfire a few weeks back, he said would get back to me when he had time...

I've got a couple of other leads on this idea from other forums, it's a bit beyond me as a project but there's a useful product there -- e.g. a kit with the module and some sensors, to work with Speedfan.

dinofx

Post by dinofx » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:28 am

MikeC wrote:dinofx --
Also, you should know that I've seen in a recent Gigabyte(?) AM2 board fan controls in the BIOS that includes a switch between PWM and voltage control. This is on a board with a 4-pin CPU fan header.
This sounds like welcome flexibility if you are just controlling fans, which typically only draw around 0.20 amps of current. I wouldn't try plugging in a water pump that can draw 2 amps when starting, and 1.5 amps continuously when running at 12 volts.

This circuit can power a water pump and a 120mm fan simultaneously (both receive same voltage), since it pulls power from the PSU and only uses the MB header for input/output.

I'm trying to find your e-mail...

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:57 am

hey, are you going to produce a few of these and sell them?

i'd be interested in a few?

i'm just getting my new core duo system... so would like one for the cpu

and ati are using 4 pin pwm in their latest series of cards...

whaddya say?

dinofx

Post by dinofx » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:51 pm

gb115b wrote:i'd be interested in a few?

i'm just getting my new core duo system... so would like one for the cpu

and ati are using 4 pin pwm in their latest series of cards...
I have some available. What are your plans for the ATI card? Are you replacing the stock cooler (I'm assuming it's PWM) with an older 3-pin fan?

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:00 pm

thinking about replacing the stock cooler on the x1950 xtx with a zalman vf 900

not entirely certain how loud it is (i've heard comparable with the 7900 GTX)

also not sure about fan control software for ATI Cards... whether the card itself takes care of it all, or whether there's a decent bit of software than can control the fan dependend on temps..

i'm hoping (/ assuming) that zalman will bring out their 9700 in a pwm flavour as well, but not sure if it will meet my silence needs (it should be ok, i guess). if not your pwm gadget and a nexus mod might be required....

those are my plans!

G

leem

Post by leem » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:35 pm

Hi dinofx, did you say you has some of these for sale?

dinofx

Post by dinofx » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:25 am

leem wrote:Hi dinofx, did you say you has some of these for sale?

Yes, we should be discussing potential purchases on my original thread in the classified forum.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... highlight=

I think it is valid to discuss usage/design/behavior/results, etc. in this thread+topic, but I'm sure a moderator will correct me if I'm wrong.

a_punker

Post by a_punker » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:33 am

gb115b, atitool will allow you to dynamically control the fan speed of your X1950. www.techpowerup.com