Ambient Temperature "Heads Up".

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Ambient Temperature "Heads Up".

Post by Bluefront » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:47 am

Here in the USA we are going from summer temps to fall temps. In my house this means I'll adjust the central HVAC system......summer temps are around 28C, winter temps are around 21C.

This has a big effect on the running temps of every computer component. The tricky part is to recognize this occurance when you are building/designing your new computer setup. A computer that runs fine in the winter temps, may suffer when summer arrives. And it's easy to overlook this. Most of my setups that have fixed fan speeds, will rise in temperature with a rise in ambient......at almost the same rate. The setups with auto fan speed are not so much affected. They just get louder as the ambient rises.

Keep this in mind when you build a computer in winter temperatures.....might save you some expensive trouble..... :lol:

revloc8

Post by revloc8 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:20 am

yea, i cant agree more. I bought my comp last fall after things had cooled down quite a bit. Then the Korean summer came...my already furnace-hot Prescott was heating up the place like you woulnt believe. I had to put a 14" fan next to my comp with the side off to keep the hot air circulating so that my comp-corner didnt heat up too much. Talk about annoying, and I thought the stock intel HSF was bad... Why didnt I do more research and buy AMD instead??? Or at least get something besides a Prescott. :oops: Thankfully I discovered SPCR and I now know the folly of my ways. I have somewhat quieted the Pressy beast thanks to the input I got from this website and from people like Bluefront. Thanks all. Im trying to do an article about my trials and such, but everytime I start my wife looks at me...you know "the look".

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:13 pm

Yeah, my little Shuttle has to deal with 40c+ ambient temps. Thank god for undervolting.